Printing envelopes

Started by Jennifer, December 19, 2014, 01:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

OK, I give up. I have been trying all afternoon to print on a #10 (9.5" x 4.125") envelope.

In the Print Setup tab, I have Printer paper set to #10 Envelope: 4.125 in. x 9.5 in. Landscape is checked. I've attached screen shots of this and the Page Size tab. I'd attach the Drawing Scale tab, too, but someone made the arbitrary decision to limit this to 2 attachments even though they are only 60KB each.

When I print the page, the left, top, and bottom edges are fine. The right edge is cut off about 5/8" from the end. The print just stops with 3/4 of an inch of paper left blank.

What am I doing wrong?

This happens on two different printers.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Jennifer

If I paste the entire Visio page into a word document with a #10 envelope page size, it prints correctly.

PS: Here's that other image.

Visio Guy

Hi Jennifer, it looks like your drawing page size is not the same as the printer paper size.

There are two variables to consider: the paper in the printer, and the virtual paper that you draw on in Visio, which we'll call the page.

There's a tab in your Page Setup dialog for controlling the page size, and it looks similar to the print setup, so it's easy to think that you already did it!

You can also see in the previews on the right side of the dialogs that the printer paper and drawing page are not the same size.

Hopefully that's the problem...and solution to your woes!
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Jennifer

Quote from: Visio Guy on December 19, 2014, 08:23:34 AM
Hi Jennifer, it looks like your drawing page size is not the same as the printer paper size.

There are two variables to consider: the paper in the printer, and the virtual paper that you draw on in Visio, which we'll call the page.

There's a tab in your Page Setup dialog for controlling the page size, and it looks similar to the print setup, so it's easy to think that you already did it!
I posted screen shots of both the Print Setup and Page Size tabs.

• The Print Setup tab is set to "#10 Envelope: 4.125 in. x 9.5 in." & Landscape.
  • The Page Size tab is set to "Custom Size: 9.5 in. x 4,125 in.".
How are these not the same?
You can also see in the previews on the right side of the dialogs that the printer paper and drawing page are not the same size.
I noticed that, but didn't know what to do about it. But the dotted line is along the long edge, which seems to me to indicate that the image would be cut off on the bottom. The problem I am having is that the image is cut off along the right edge. I've attached copies of the image as it is on the Visio page and as it is printed. The printed image had about .75" truncated on the right side, even though there is plenty of paper. I've even printed it on standard letter paper with the same result.
Hopefully that's the problem...and solution to your woes!
Not so far... :(

JuneTheSecond

I am using Visio 2013 in Windows 8.1.
Printed out your image on #10 envelop to OneNote.
But no problem.

Printing have more settings such as scale, margin and printer drivers.,,,
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

wapperdude

@Jennifer,

It looks like you've done the correct steps, although, the preview window suggests that there is a mismatch.  Except, as you noted, you would expect the bottom to be truncated, not the right end.

I would suggest one change, on the Print Setup tab, check the Fit to option instead of the Adjust to option.  Keep the Fit to at 1 page x 1 page.  This should force your drawing page to best fit the printer page.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Visio Guy

Is it possible that the printer requires a larger margin in order to grab the envelope? I seem to remember something like this, but it was many years ago and I don't remember the details.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Jennifer

Quote from: Visio Guy on December 20, 2014, 11:41:13 PM
Is it possible that the printer requires a larger margin in order to grab the envelope? I seem to remember something like this, but it was many years ago and I don't remember the details.
The same truncation occurs whether I print on an actual envelope or regular paper.