Setting zero degree on Y axis

Started by Cafonauta, December 17, 2014, 02:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cafonauta

Hi all,

New user & first question.

I'm trying to use Visio 2010 to draw directions and distance on a custom map.
I do not need special shapes or something special. I'm using the maps template to set the correct scale.
To get the job easy I just need to have a North pointing at 12 o'clock and when I draw a line I need having the angle expressed 0-360 clockwise like a real compass.
I use the size and position window but angles are +-0-180 and zero is on x-axis aka East.

Is there some way to set these defaults so I can do the job fast and easy?

I attach a sampe of what I need. It's very simple: for each line I just set the bearing (183°) and distance...

Thank you in advance

Cafonauta

It seems that the free MS crime scene stencil does what exactly what I need except it show distances in a wrong format.

I changed everything in metric system but it continues to display distances in fraction numbers..e.g. 4,71m it display 4 67/95.

Any hint ?

Yacine

How macabre.
Which shape is the right one?
Yacine

Cafonauta

This is the template

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/templates/crime-scenes-with-shapes-TC001150413.aspx

I do not need shapes I just use the compass, the reference point and a generic object.

I have to draw an archeological site with artifacts position relative tona reference position. Exactly as a scene crime.

wapperdude

That is very strange.  I downloaded the template, V2007, and everything seems fine.  I cannot replicate the "fractional" error that you get.  In fact, there are times I'd like to have that "feature".

It might be a V2010 issue, but, I cannot say for certain.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Cafonauta

Thank you for your test.
Are you sure you selected angular coordinates?

Here in my office we have only several copies of Visio 2010 so no chance for me to try a previous version.

I opened the template with three of them. Of course I have to convert the page and scale to metric system but when I drop the objects on the page and I choose "angular coordinates" (the default is rectangular coordinates) i get that wrong visualization. The rectangular coordinates are correct.

The strange thing is that internally the value is correct because is I open the property dialog the distance is correctly calculated. Same into the shapesheet.

It should be something wrong on the formula used to display the value. Where I can check it?

In the attachment what I see: 117,7277m in the shapesheet and 117 8/11 m on the shape :(

I even tried to change unit and format values with no luck.

Jumpy

What is the FieldPicture of the inserted Field?

Cafonauta

Quote from: Jumpy on December 18, 2014, 01:25:52 PM
What is the FieldPicture of the inserted Field?

Hem... I'm not sure I understood you.

Looking at the shapesheet I see only three FieldPicture on textfields:

Format                               value

=FIELDPICTURE(12) IF(Sheet.30!User.IsRefPt=0,Sheet.30!Prop.angle,IF(Sheet.30!User.mSystem=0,"",Sheet.30!Prop.angle))
=FIELDPICTURE(18) =IF(Sheet.30!User.IsRefPt=0,Sheet.30!Prop.Distance,IF(Sheet.30!User.mSystem=0,"V Distance = "&Sheet.30!Scratch.Y4,Sheet.30!Prop.Distance))
=FIELDPICTURE(18) =IF(Sheet.30!User.IsRefPt=0,"",IF(Sheet.30!User.mSystem=0,"H Distance = "&Sheet.30!Scratch.X4,""))

wapperdude

QuoteAre you sure you selected angular coordinates?

Thought I did, went back and tried again, and yes, I can now duplicate your "fractional" results.  Also, it has nothing to do with going to metric.  Now that I can see it, I will try to look into it more carefully, time permitting.  From your answer to Jumpy's question, it must be in one of the scratch formulas.  Basically, need to trace to see which formula is selected when the angular coordinates are selected.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Cafonauta

Quote from: wapperdude on December 18, 2014, 03:46:21 PM
QuoteAre you sure you selected angular coordinates?

Thought I did, went back and tried again, and yes, I can now duplicate your "fractional" results.  Also, it has nothing to do with going to metric.  Now that I can see it, I will try to look into it more carefully, time permitting.  From your answer to Jumpy's question, it must be in one of the scratch formulas.  Basically, need to trace to see which formula is selected when the angular coordinates are selected.

HTH
Wapperdude

Thank you indeed, I didn't think I had to be a programmer to draw a map :)

wapperdude

I haven't quite traced out all of the functionality, but, to remove the fractional notation, change the entry FIELDPICTURE(18) to FIELDPICTURE(9).  Not sure how this is set originally.  You can try other numbers for the "9", they impact both the precision and the formatting of the units displayed.

One other thing, the calcs seem a little "buggy".  If you repeatedly switch between rectangular and angular, the placement of the shape begins to shift as the values for distance change.  Might be round-off / truncation errors.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Cafonauta

Quote from: wapperdude on December 18, 2014, 04:43:07 PM
I haven't quite traced out all of the functionality, but, to remove the fractional notation, change the entry FIELDPICTURE(18) to FIELDPICTURE(9).  Not sure how this is set originally.  You can try other numbers for the "9", they impact both the precision and the formatting of the units displayed.

Thsnk you, you made my day!
FInally I useed 5.
No way to find a tabel with the format valid codes for this function. I thought it was the notation of the normal FORMAT but it's not. anyway It works :)

One other thing, the calcs seem a little "buggy".  If you repeatedly switch between rectangular and angular, the placement of the shape begins to shift as the values for distance change.  Might be round-off / truncation errors.

I can live with this. I saw there are several ROUND formulas in the shapesheet. I only use angular coordinates.

Again thank you