starting with a pre-determined line pattern when creating a new connector

Started by 8trek, December 09, 2014, 03:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8trek

I have several different line patterns created.  I would like the ability to choose which of these to use when creating a new connector rather than having to either copy/paste same or redefine the connector every time i create a new connector.  Is this possible and if so how?

thank you.

8trek

Quote from: Yacine on December 09, 2014, 05:30:37 AM
Use self defined line styles.
http://superuser.com/questions/465020/custom-style-for-any-new-drawing-element-in-visio-2010

thanks for the response, however, unless i'm missing something in reading the link you provided multiple times, this doesn't answer my question.  Again, what i'm ultimately wanting to do is be able to use several different line styles and pick which one I'm going to use "before" i create it.  The link you provided only shows how to change the default line style.

wapperdude

By pick, do you mean "easy"? 

By line patterns, I assume you mean custom line patterns.  Just stating the obvious #1.  And these patterns are available from either the menu bar (V2007, or somewhere on the ribbon), when you select either Line Weight menu or Line End menu.  This can be done before you draw the connector, then once the connector is drawn, a single button click will assign the custom pattern.  Obvious #2.   That doesn't quite do what you want.

My suggestion would be to draw a connector for each line pattern that you have.  Then add each of these to a new stencil.  Then, when you want a specific line pattern, just choose that connector from the stencil and drag it to your drawing page.  Unfortunately, you still have to drag each end to wherever you want it connected.  Not quite perfect, but perhaps closer than what you're doing.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

8trek

Quote from: wapperdude on December 09, 2014, 04:57:00 PM
By pick, do you mean "easy"? 

This can be done before you draw the connector, then once the connector is drawn, a single button click will assign the custom pattern. 

Wapperdude

Thank you for the response.  It would appear i have a lot to learn and a little overwhelmed.  Based on your comment about a single button click will assign, it sounds close to what i want however i still don't understand how to get to this point.  Are you saying it is possible to use the default connector and then with 1 click change it to whatever custom line style i have?  I see the menu drop down box for line style, is this where i would put my custom line style or "pattern"... terminology is nuts.  I've attempted to create custom line "styles" but when i use them the connector appears blank.

wapperdude

1-button push...with a disclaimer.  The disclaimer is that you had already selected the custom line style that you want to use.  If you decide to use a different line style, custom or otherwise, you have to go thru the line style menu to select whatever you want.  Once you've selected it, it will be available with a single push on the line style icon.

To create a Custom Line Style, see this Visio Guy article:  http://www.visguy.com/2008/03/03/release-the-power-of-visio-custom-line-patterns/.
His article also has very useful links.

HTH
wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro