Dimension Annotations - Help!

Started by Advansys, December 05, 2014, 04:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advansys

I frequently use dimensioning. I like to use feet and inches, but Visio defaults to 0.00 decimal ft. When I go to Shape Data - Units, I can change it. It says it is using drawing page units. Where is this set up? If I go to page setup, the measurement units are set to feet and inches.

wapperdude

The 0.00 is showing the measurement precision, not suggesting format is decimal.

As you've noticed, the page setup provides the initial unit settings.  If you right click on a dimension shape, the pop menu provides two key items:  Precision & Units and Save As Page Default

Precision & Units:  This is where you control the dimension shape behavior and how it shows on the page.
Save As Page Default:  If you've made changes, that you consider the default setting for the page, then this item will cause each new dimension shape added to the page to have same characteristics.  Also, any newly added page ought to inherit these properties. 

Of course, this is limited to the existing file.  There are at least two options, maybe three to make it more global.  (1).  Save your modified dimension symbols to a new, custom stencil, (2) create a template file that has desired settings and stencils, and, maybe (3) edit the registry settings for Visio.  I've not tried this, so, cannot offer any advice.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Advansys

The "save as page default" does what I need. Thanks for your comment!