"Get" Events for Ribbon Designer ?

Started by Visio Guy, December 03, 2014, 02:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visio Guy

Hi all, I recently whipped out VB.NET to convert some VBA code into an add-in.

I thought I'd give the Ribbon Designer a try. The last time I tried it a few years ago, it was still a bit rough. It seems better now in Visual Studio 2013.

However, it seems that it is only for an "always on" ribbon, which is fine for this project. Looking towards future add-in projects, it is better to have custom ribbon tabs appear only in certain circumstances, such as when a domain-specific template is open. It also nice to show/hide or enable/disable controls based on the context of what the user is doing, e.g. shapes selected or nothing selected.

This is usually done with the "get" events (getVisible, getEnabled, getTip, getLabel, etc.), which I have only done when I define RibbonXML, which is much more of a pain than using the designer.

I can't see a way to get to these "get" attributes using the designer. I think I've heard in the past that you can use the ribbon designer to lay things out, then export it to RibbonXML to get the xml, which can then be "get-ified", but this seems lame. Why not stay in the ribbon designer always? Is it possible to have the best of both worlds?

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Nikolay

+1.
Ribbon designer does not seem to support "get-" callbacks.
I would say this is a feature request for the VSTO team.