[SOLVED] How to display shape data from shape A on shape B

Started by Steven_Hughes, June 03, 2014, 08:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven_Hughes

I am working on creating a shape for use in network drawings. I used two boxed adjacent to each other with on rotated 90 degrees to the adjacent box. I grouped them together to form a single shape and created a shape data sheet with fields containing all of the info.

I need to display one field in one box and two other fields in the perpendicular box. However when I try to insert the field the list of shapedata fields to insert is blank. The second box is using its own shape data which is blank. I do not want users to have to click on two seperate boxes to look at the shape data for this object.

How can I display the shape data from the parent object in two seperate text boxes in my shape?

Thanks,

Yacine

Hi Steven,
You can't insert "Shape data" of a foreign shape directly from the options given, you need instead to insert a formula.
This formula should look like: MyOtherShape!prop.field1,
where MyOtherShape would be "shape." followed by the number displayed in the shape data window when you select this target shape. eg: "shape.1"
field1 would be the name of the custom property, you want to display.
Hope that was clear enough,
Yacine
Yacine

Steven_Hughes

rainman

Hello,

How does this work when the shapes are in a group. How you can the data from the group in one of the muliple sub shapes in the group?

Regards

Yacine

Edwin,
The shapes in groups are displayed as well in the drawing explorer tree. Just unfold the groups.
These sub-shapes are addressed the same way as top level shapes.
Yacine

rainman

Hello Yacine,

I don't know the "Sheet.xx". I have have given a name to my shape. So instead of "Sheet.xx" if have "square" as a name.

Is there a function I can you the name and not the "Sheet.xx" ?

Regards

Yacine

open the shapesheet of shape and you'll see it's name in the title bar.(Developer mode must be switched on)
The matter with modified name is that if you make a copy of it, it will get the modified name plus it's ID (square.2).
for visio it will be the same to write square.2 or sheet.2
Yacine