Seeking help: Seeking to auto-reposition connector terminus when shape is moved

Started by VMey, October 30, 2014, 03:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VMey

Hello,

My team uses a Visio stencil set frequently that has a lot of annoying behaviors.  I've been working at improving upon a few of them, but I really don't "get" advanced Visio yet.  I'm pretty good with Excel VBA, but I barely know where to start on Visio.

For the sake of this question, we have Shape LEFT connected to Shape RIGHT by a Connector.  The connector starts at the ORIGIN point of Shape LEFT, and ends at the TERMINUS point of Shape Right.  All three shapes are sourced from our stencil.

Currently, when Shape RIGHT is moved, Connector's Terminus stays in the same place.  I want Connector's Terminus to move to a better place.  Here's an image of current function and desired function:

These are the limitations:

• Origin Point must stay fixed.  Only Terminus should move.
  • Connector Arc shape should only change if it crosses the plane of Shape LEFT or RIGHT.  It should only change enough to not cross the plane.
  • Automatic adjustment should only occur when Shape RIGHT (aka TERMINUS Shape) is moved.  The connector should be able to be repositioned at will after that.

I appreciate any help you can provide

Paul Herber

Assuming you have a connection point on the left-hand shape that the connector is glued to, you should use dynamic glue to connect to the right-hand shape. The connector will re-route itself automatically.
Example attached.

P.S. I've moved the post as it's not a programming task.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

VMey