Glue a connection point to more than one shape?

Started by stubotmd, October 20, 2014, 03:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stubotmd

Hello, I've been getting good info from this site for a while but never posted..
Does anyone know if you can glue a connection point to more than one shape (like a rectangle shape)?  Such that if I connect a connector wire to it, I will logically connect to both those shapes?
Ultimately I would use VBA to extract information from the page, but for now I'm just trying to find a way to use Visio tools to achieve what I need.
The scenario is I'm drawing a network diagram - but I need to have one generic box shape that can represent any piece of hardware with ports.  So I need to be able to easily instantiate "ports" onto my generic box so that I can draw any device using the same basic shapes. 

You could picture one box representing a network switch (using port 2) connected to a computer (port "Network").

When I draw a connector-wire between the switch and the computer, I will need to logically identify that that connector connects to both the specific port and the specific device (i.e. Port 2 of the Cisco switch), all on the left side.  On the right side the wire will connect to the "Network" port of Computer.

So I was thinking I'd create a text label to identify the port, and then glue a connection point onto it.  Then the wire would connect to the port.  But how do I connect that port to the box that it's in?  If I could glue the port label to the hardware box, and then still be able to connect a wire to it, it would be perfect.  But that doesn't seem to work.
Anyone ever created anything like this?  Is there another easy way to do this?
Thanks for any insight,
Stuart

stubotmd

Oh - and I'm using Visio 2010 if that matters.
Thanks again

Yacine

If the connector was actually a group of two connectors (or more), then you would have the handles of the 2-D shape + as many control points as needed to connect to additional shapes.

check the attachment.
Yacine