Shape text centered in a block, the block not centered in the shape

Started by Orthoducks, October 18, 2014, 05:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orthoducks

I often need to draw shapes that contain both multi-line, centered text and other shapes. To make room for the shapes, the text has to be moved to one corner.

This would be easy to do by top or bottom-aligning the text block and left or right-aligning the text. But when the text is left or right-aligned, EACH LINE gets moved to the left or right margin. I need to move the text BLOCK to the left or right margin, but keep the lines of text centered within the block.

The only way I know to do this is to indent the text's right margin until it settles near the left edge of the shape, or the left margin until it settles near the right edge. But then if the shape's width changes, the text block either drifts toward the center of the shape or gets squished down to a column one character wide.

I can imagine doing this by inserting a separate text shape into the regular shape. But that would create an equally bad problem: if I wanted to select and move the shape I'd have to remember to select the text shape too, and I'd get no visual cues to remind me.

Is there a good way to do this -- reasonably easy to create and to work with?

Yacine

Yacine