Word Wrap Shape Data Value

Started by EminCLake, September 24, 2014, 01:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EminCLake

Is there a way for text to be word-wrapped in the shape data window? That is, if I have a field called Comments is there a way to wrap the text of long entries? Not seeing anything obvious in the ShapeSheet area.

Stu

Yacine

Hi Stu,
As far as I know there are really no onboard features to show long texts.
There are however some workarounds.
1) Use the shape's text as input field.
2) Write a form as docking window, in which you would display the comment in a larger text field.

I don't know how proficient you are in Visio, both options require some knowledge.

HTH,
Yacine
Yacine

EminCLake

Thanks for the info and ideas, Yacine. 

I'm not terribly proficient with the more complex facets of Visio (yet) but you provided a sense of what's possible and that's appreciated.

wapperdude

I must be having a personally slow day...  :P  But I'm confused.

It sounds like you want to be able to have text wrapping.  Is that true, or are you trying to disable text wrapping?

2nd, not quite sure what you mean by  shape data window.  Perhaps you can upload a simple example?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Good morning Wayne,
I think Stu is looking for a custom data window, where the individual rows are higher than one line. So as to be able to write and read longer texts.
Cheers,
Y.
Yacine

EminCLake

Yacine

Hi Stu,
here is a small stencil, that shows a docking window which displays the text of shapes having a comment field as shape data.

You need to load the stencil from a new drawing, drop the yellow square on the drawing to display the window.

Cheers,
Yacine
Yacine

bilmw

I was trying to do the same thing then found that if you hold control and hit enter when typing the text in the value field in shape data (at a sensible length of characters) it then appears wrapped when viewing through internet explorer or any other web browser.