Drawing Scale and Sheet Size

Started by phi1316, September 20, 2014, 11:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phi1316

I've had a hard time searching for this or finding what terms to search for in order to find the answer.  I am using Visio 2007 and want to scale a page.  All of my drawing was completed before I scaled and so the items ended up being incredibly small but accurate to the real world size. Basically my real world sheet size was many many times larger than necessary for the item that I had drawn on the page.  How do I go about fixing this issue so my page size (real world) is not so large.  For example, if it is 410in long, how do move down to a more reasonable 100in long without changing my scale?

Thanks for any help.

Yacine

Finding the right scaling is difficult at the beginning, because there are so many settings that influence the result.
Basically there are 3 different concepts to understand.
1) there is a scaling for the shapes on the page. The shapes are displayed with there right dimensions, but the page itself can have other dimensions.
2) the page has real physical dimensions that can be printed 1 to 1, provided you have the right printer, but
3) the page itself can also be scaled to paper available in the printer.

For your case, I would suggest, that you set the dimensions of the page to be a little bit bigger than the extends of the drawing, then set the print zoom to 1x1. (100% would give you the real dimensions instead)

Yacine

wapperdude

Adding to Yacine's reply:
  1.  If all you want is to have the page set to smaller size so it's easier to view the shapes without zooming in, and keep the shape dimensions constant, then open Page Setup (Under the file tab), go to page dimensions, see if there's a pre-defined scale that is close to the desired, or select custom and enter your scale factor.  Note, the new dimensions will be shown at the bottom of the pop-up window.

This doesnot change the shape dimensions, but text size doesn't scale, so that may have to be adjusted.

2.  If you want the printout, hard copy,  to be true to scale, then as Yacine indicated, you need to set the printing option at 1:1 or 100%, and a printer that can handle the chosen sheet size.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro