Chart/Graph in Visio UserForm

Started by DJHarris71, September 19, 2014, 04:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJHarris71

I am building userforms to modify / view results of a visio shape.  Some of this I would like to display in a Chart/Graph  (Microsoft calls graphs charts - forever now a graph will be a chart)

In excel I can use the built in excel charting capabilites and display the chart in the userform as an image.  An image is not my prefered solution, but at least it is built into excel and i do not require an external source to produce it.

However - In Visio I can not use the excel charting capability - So I have perused the interwebs and the only solution i ever land on is using owc11 from office 2003.

Is there not a way to latch onto the current MS Office Charting?  If so, please lead me to the source that teaches me how.

If not, I will continue to use the owc11, however, I always get this nag screen when I open my Visio File that states I am using an activeX component.  Is there a way to remove this nag screen for just this addon, and not a global change that could reduce the scurity of my software?

Thanks,
Doug

Yacine

Hi doug,
I don't really understand your problem.

Is it just the snag screen that annoys you?
How are you building up your diagrams?
What kind of diagrams do you draw?
Why can't you use the diagram capabilities of new office versions?
What version of visio do you use?
Do you have a standard or a pro version?
... so many questions. Sorry.
Yacine

DJHarris71

Hello Yacine,

Thanks for the response.

I hope to make this clearer.

I am not sure what the 'snag screen' is.
The diagrams are built manually from a stencil that we have created specifically four our application.
The diagrams very simple - boxes and circles - but the data behind them and the flow between then is the detail that is important to us.
We use 2010/13 Visio Standard.

The key to my problem is this:  We have developed Userforms using VBA to edit/enter the data that relates to the objects in the flow diagram.
We send this data through an analysis that uses the flow of the diagram and the data within the objects to come up with a result.  The results are then stored for the system and for each object.

It is my desire to display the results for the system and the objects in the VBA userforms that we have developed.  These results are Bar Charts and Pie Charts. 

My post is asking - Is there a way to put Charts in VBA Userforms using current MSOffice charting?  Currently the only solution I know of is the OWC components from Office 2003.

Yacine

Hi Doug,
I also did some "googling" and did not find more than the OWC11.

But ... I did also find the visio viewer, which works perfectly with VBA forms. The problem is, that you would need to edit programatically the drawing before display.

Would that be an option?

PS: Just another thougth: If the chart on your form is very simple - eg just some plain rectangles. You could consider replicating the graph by control elements.
Yacine

DJHarris71

Yacine,
Thanks for taking the time to google this.  I have googled myself numb on this one.  and OWC11 is the only solution I find. 

So perhaps there is answer to this.  OWC11 works well (after dealing with an install) but it gives me a nag screen everytime I open Visio. It says "The application is about to initialize ActievX controls that may be unsafe." etc...   Anyone know a way I can remove this message for just this component, rather than all AcitveX controls (and reducing the security on my App).

Thanks.