Connection Points on Grouped Items

Started by GMiddie, September 12, 2014, 06:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GMiddie

I am having no luck creating a connection point on an item that is a series of shapes that are grouped together.  (I've created a custom rack mount power strip for a computer networking cabinet).  When I create the connection point in the corner, so that it will connect into my rack at any Rack Unit position, and try all options for the connection point (inward, outward, and both), it does not turn the connection point red and allow easy snapping to the cabinet's connection point.
When I ungroup my custom power strip and follow the same procedures on just 1 portion of my power strip (in this case, the corner of the rack mounting bracket that I've ungrouped from the entire power strip), it works fine.  Does grouping items create a different scenario when wanting to add connection points?  I am sure that it can work, as many downloaded shapes of other multi-part items all work fine.  Can anyone tell me what step I am missing?  This is also similar to when I have a downloaded item, ungroup it and break it from its master, then regroup it.  After doing this, it no longer turns the connection points red and snaps into place.
Thanks.  I've been trying to figure this out for days...
GMiddie

wapperdude

Couple of minor changes to what you're doing.  One, after you group, don't add connection points.  Two, right click the group > Format > Behavior and select 1D.  And three, open the shapesheet for the group, and set the LocPinY = height*0.  (Assumes you're using the bottom edge as reference for gluing...that's the standard used.)

That should do it.  The 1D ought to glue without adding connection points.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

GMiddie

Thanks Wapperdude.  This wasn't too painful, and did the trick.

For any others reading this who might have the same issue, note that Visio 2010 does not have the Format/Behavior right click menu option available any more.
I was able to find the behavior option under the Developer tab (which I had to enable first via File/Options/Customize Ribbon), and Behavior is in the Shape Design section.

Thanks again.
GMiddie