Rich text (rtf) format in shape property field

Started by kren1986, August 29, 2014, 12:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kren1986

Hi to evryone (i m new to this forum:)!

Is there any options in Visio 2013 to insert a rich text (rtf) in the visio shape property field. Any solutions, add-ons maby, workarounds,...?

Thanks in adavance.

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Yacine

@Paul, I think Kren wants to store a formated text in a custom property.

@Kren, this is not so easily feasable. The question being the purpose of the field.
If there's only one field, then the shape itself could hold it in its text property.
If there are many of them, then a group of shapes could hold the information and you may think of methods to either show only one at a time or divide the text field in regions to separate the fields.
Please supply more information.
Yacine

Paul Herber

oops.

<Paul>Unoops</Paul>
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

kren1986

Hi!
First thanks for your answer. I need that every individual shape has a one custom property where rich text format can be inserted and saved. I need this property for detailed description of the individual processes/subproceses/activitiyie within the visio file.  What would be your suggestion?

Thanks.

Yacine

And what do you intend to do with those descriptions?
Export them, print them out, just have a possibility to read them, ...?

A very simple solution could be to have grouped shapes, with locked text. Only the sub-shapes can be edited.
An annotation shape would be part of the group and belongs to an annotation layer. The annotation must be on the foreground.

The visibility of the annotations in controlled by a central property of the page.

Hiting F2 when the layer is visible would edit the annotation. When the layer is invisible it is the next visible sub-shape that is edited.
Yacine

kren1986

Those descriptions are meant as an information on the process diagrams that users can see/read, only administrators of processes are meant to change those property in the future. But problem is, that we have very extensive process diagrams (full of information and shapes already) and there is not enough space for longer descriptions any more, so we think abouth the posibility to save this information in shape properties.

I also tried the above mentioned option Insert->Objec->Wordpad. It is an option that would probably satisfy our needs. I have jus a question about it an this is: Is there an option to rename the icon of those inserted objects from for example "Wordpad Document" to a custom name as "Description of a shape" that users would be able to recognize the icon and click it? If there is such a posibility i think it would be a great solution for us.

Yacine

@Paul,
You can withdraw your oops. Your solution seems to be just fine.

I wonder why no one checks my attachments???
Yacine