Connecting Multiple Dynamic Connectors from Grouped Shape

Started by bammccarron, August 18, 2014, 05:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bammccarron

Hi Everyone,
     First off, this is my first post on this forum!  I am trying to put together a grouped shape that has built-in snapping connectors; but I am running into a roadblock.  I would like to be able to drag the shape and have all of the dynamic connectors snap to or glue to the receiving shapes connection points.  When I drag the group over, it does not seem to recognize the sub-shapes as dynamic connectors to glue to the connection points.  Playing with some setting, I can get 1 of them to glue/snap to a connection point but the others do not actually snap/glue.  I have attached a sample drawing illustrating the problem.

Thank you all for your help!

Yacine

Hi,
this is too difficult for several reasons:
1) you are trying to glue several connection points in one drag. Considering that Visio has to deal with tolerances, it would need to compute all these points at once. There are not so much degrees of freedom - even in 3D. And I wouldn't know of any other software capable of doing this.
2) the connectors are burried in the group. They don't respond to this kind of action. At least the dragged shapes won't. The target shapes can. But one at a time.

In my opinion you need to think about a workaround.

Either make one connection representing all three or write a macro to connect them one by one (or a combination of both)
Yacine

bammccarron

Thank you Yacine, I ended up creating a shape with the dynamic connectors attached to it and preventing the connectors and their shape text from being accidentally clicked on when dragging the main shape around the drawing page.