Connectivity: Find, Show, List

Started by wapperdude, August 12, 2014, 07:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapperdude

Guess, it was inevitable that the two previous efforts should be combined into a single VBA routine.

The code will analyze all of the connections collection on a page as before and generate an Excel worksheet.  In addition, there is the option to select a 2D shape and the code will highlight it and its primary connectivity objects, highlighting them as well.  Plus, the cells in the Excel worksheet for the selected shape will also be highlighted.

Alas, only now do you realize the limitations of the code, there is no reset / restore function.

Enjoy.
Wapperdude

Ed.:  Previous posts: 
        Finding & Highlighting Connected Shapes http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=5835.0
        Listing Connection Objects on a Pagehttp://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=5840.0
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

I refered already many times to it, but it's still worth it.
exGrid is a very useful grid and tree activeX tool, that you can use to display your data.
My advice to your "still" evolving" tool, would be to put it in Visio's interface. Either in a non-modal window (sorry for the repetition) or even better in a docking window.
Trapping the selected shape, would then highlight the shape in the grid.
(just my note from the side ... sorry)
Yacine

wapperdude

Yes, exGrid does look to be a powerful tool.  But..
  1.  It is not a commonly used tool in these (Visio) parts, so I don't think it provides a suitable, widely adaptable solution.  VBA is part of everything.  Excel is reasonably common place.  So, the post just leverages what's available.
  2.  It's an additional investment, the license is not free.
  3.  I have no personal use for it.  I only looked at the connectivity stuff because it's a common topic and thought it would be nice to have some sort of local solution.
  4.  I don't want to learn a tool based upon 1 - 3 above.

I'm not even sure that the three connectivity topics are of great universal interest.  But, at least, I became more familiar with some of the issues, which helps to provide meaningful responses to future questions. 

I have no additional plans to evolve these topics.  Any future effort might be result of response to a specific post or if someone finds a "bug" in the code.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

lrdgrd

A reset option could use the same excel file you are creating, just add the color (or whatever additional formating you are using) for each shape to it before highlighting the connected shapes.  The reset would read the excel file and apply the formating it had before the highlight.
lrdgrd (LRDGRD)
One of Seven!

wapperdude

Oh yeah, realize it's simple.  That's part of reason I didn't bother...unless, like the demo file, there's a lot of "default" colors, then, it becomes a smidge more complicated.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro