Quickly toggle "non-printing" shape property

Started by David.P, July 29, 2014, 01:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapperdude

What key are you trying to assign?

Didn't notice which version of Visio you're using.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

David.P

It was the same key Ctrl+Q that I used previously. I'm using Visio 2003.

Actually I recorded a dummy macro called "asdf" in order to paste the above code into it, and assigned Ctrl+Q with the "asdf" macro.

Afterwards however, that shortcut did not work (possibly because the macro was called "Make_shape_not_printable" instead of "asdf" after pasting the code). Then I tried to assign Ctrl+Q again, to the "Make_shape_not_printable macro" -- but got the message that Ctrl+Q was already taken.
Visio 2003 for production
Visio 2019

wapperdude

A little confused.  The new asdf macro is in same or different document?  The "Q" shortcut key worked at first for asdf?  Then, you pasted the code into it, but did not change the macro name, and the key still worked?  Then, you renamed the macro and it stopped working?

What I would do...
In a new doc, do the sequence of steps above and note when the key stops working.  It should stop with name change, change name back to asdf and try key again.  Assuming this works, confirms the key is assigned to specific macro.  Now, delete asdf macro.  Record new macro, say mac1.  Try to assign your "Q" key.  If it doesn't take, then Visio isn't releasing the assignment.  But, I think it should work.

Assuming the last step worked, open your problem document, make a backup copy, delete the macro.  Might want to save as some other name.  Perhaps close and reopen this doc.  Paste your macro.  Assign the key.  I think it ought to take .

You could just do the last part 1st.  If it works, done.  If not, then do the 1st set of what I would stuff to find out where it fails.

Wapperdude

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

David.P

> The new asdf macro is in same or different document?
Same document

> The "Q" shortcut key worked at first for asdf? 
Didn't try the key

> Then, you pasted the code into it, but did not change the macro name, and the key still worked?
Didn't try the key

> Then, you renamed the macro and it stopped working?
I did not manually rename the macro. It was renamed by the pasting which contained the new macro name.

> open your problem document, make a backup copy, delete the macro.  Perhaps close and reopen this doc.  Paste your macro.  Assign the key.

Thanks, that worked! The key assignment was accepted.

BTW, with Visio, there is no template document where you can save your macro collection to (like normal.dot with Word), is there?
Visio 2019

wapperdude

No template file as you're suggesting.  You can save your macros to a common file location and then provide Visio with a reference path to that directory.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

David.P

Thank you Wapperdude.

Where in the settings do I provide Visio with that reference path?

And does this mean that my macros will be available in every new Visio document as well?
Visio 2019

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

David.P

Visio 2019