Making A Custom Shape Behave Like a Milestone

Started by jetirone, July 07, 2014, 12:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetirone

Hi everyone,

Just getting started with Visio and I've already run into a unsolvable (read: I can't find the answer on Google) issue:

I am developing  a timeline to represent key milestones for an array of projects (50+), and I want to create a custom milestone shape in a stencil so that I can have different images for the milestones.  I've tried editing the shapesheet to change the image and also tried to create a custom shape that behaves like a milestone (links to a timeline, external data, etc.)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

-J

wapperdude

Timeline shapes are complex, grouped shapes.  My guess, when you opened the shapesheet for a milestone, it was for the top, group level, and there was no geometry information present.

Easiest way to navigate these shapes is thru the Drawing Explorer Window (DEW).  You can access it thru the menu bar > View.  Expand the "tree map" by left clicking on the "+" signs.  The nesting in the tree structure follows the shape hierarchy as you travel down thru the various layers of subgroups.  Clicking on an entry in the DEW will show the selected shape in the drawing window.  You will have to do some trial and error exploring to find the shape that has the geometry features that you want to change.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro