Visio 2013 hyperlinks not working

Started by jsomerton, June 17, 2014, 04:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsomerton

I am new to Developer...that said, I have several visio 2013 diagrams where I need to hyperlink from a shape on one page to a different page in the same document.  Some hyperlinks work, some do not.  I can't figure out why the inconsistency - I am using the same process to add the links each time.  Is this a known bug?  Is there a work around?  In a couple of the instances I have renamed the page that I want to link to, is this part of the problem?  I've updated the hyperlink properties, but the links still don't work.  On some, the link to a page will work from a shape one page, but not from a shape on another page?  Is there a 'deeper' background location that I need to go to clear or update properties?   help?

Yacine

The hyperlinks should work with the new names.
Can you send more infos, or may be upload some example?
Yacine

jsomerton

Here is the entire document.  I've added comments to TOC on the links that don't work from that page.  There are a couple on the Lab page that also don't work correctly.  It has me befuddled!  I've deleted and re-added them.  I've completely recreated one page and that did not help, some links don't work.  Thanks for your help.

Yacine

Could you please send a vsd. I'm still on Visio 2007.
Yacine

Croc

Hyperlink work properly with a different name - NameU.
Name = KYN Screening
NameU = Choose KYN Clinic

Croc

Sorry!  :(
Name also works correctly. But the name of page "KYN Screening" at the end has extra space. "KYN Screening " instead of "KYN Screening".
It seems that Visio incorrectly inserts hyperlinks with such names.

jsomerton

Thank you all for your input - it was the spaces in the names that I could not see after staring at it for HOURS.  Links all fixed and I know to watch for that subtlety going forward. 

Again, thanks.
Jane

caml1007

So SMART! I had the same problem and didn't realize my Page Name had a space in it. Going to make sure all of my page names don't have any trailing spaces. Huge help! Thank you.

Paul Herber

I've updated my Visio Utilities to do a check for leading/trailing spaces in page names.
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/visio-utilities/
Hope this is useful to someone.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

dch53

Diagram names that are too long can also cause this problem.

Visio seems happy with very long diagram names but there seems to be a limit when linking diagrams. I duplicated a diagram with a long name then gave the duplicate a slightly different name to the original (both more than 50 or 60 characters). Links to both diagrams now no longer worked.

Shortening the diagram names and relinking fixed the problem.

ZoulouZoo

Hello there,

Just to add my 2cents in case someone has the same issue :
I didn't have any extra-space as mentioned above but a "/" in my sheet's name. The hyperlinks didn't work until I changed the "/" by "-". Maybe some specific characters also triggers issues with the hyperlinks.

Cheers,
Zoulou

Hey Ken

ZoulouZoo:

Yep, there are four specific characters in a page name that make Visio hyperlinks choke.  They are: /, \, %, and ?.  Never knew about the trailing blank, though.  Ya learn something new every day!

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com

lizat

An old thread but I found it when trying to work out why my links weren't working. So in case someone does the same here's another gotcha...

If linking to a tab within the current vision file and with embedded spaces in the name you must replace the embedded spaces with '%20' eg 'My%20tab%20name'

Lizat

Hey Ken

Lizat:

Interesting.  I've done multiple 500+ page hyperlinked drawings stuffed full of links to pages within the same drawing and to pages in other drawings, most all of which have names that contain embedded spaces, and I've never had a problem with the links.  I also save them as PDFs, and the linking functions as expected.  I've been doing this with all Visio versions from 2003 onward and never ran into any issues with embedded spaces in page names (although I did have other problems).

I think it might depend on how you do the linking or how you invoke the hyperjump.  Perhaps you could an example of a link that works and one that doesn't?

Thanks, and good luck!

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com