Enable Automation events Option

Started by dickmac999, June 04, 2014, 05:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickmac999

In a few discussions, it has been stated:
QuoteIt [Enable Automation events option] shouldn't get turned off, this is so often the reason for certain functionality not working.

I am having the opposite problem.

App:  Visio Pro 2010
Document Management System:  Desksite

I made a blank "template" for my users to create process diagrams.  We use the Cross-Functional Swim Lanes objects.

When the new drawings are saved to the desktop or a network location, there is no problem at all.

When the new drawing is saved to the Document Management System, it throws the attached error:  "The Cross-Functional solution is intended to be run for a Visio drawing.  the solution cannot be run."

It seems obvious that the DMS is causing the disruption that instigated the error.

If I un-tick Options | Advanced | General | Enable Automation events the error goes away.

If I default this Option to off, what types of automation will be affected?

Thank you for your always-helpful responses.

Paul Herber

For a start, Cross-functional flowcharts will stop working correctly, as will UML, Timeline, PERT, Calenders, and others.
I don't understand the logic behind offering the ability to turn this functionality off.
What filetype do you save your files as? (.vsd, .vdx, or what)
What is this filetype associated with within the DMS?
What is Desksite? URL? I can't find anything about it. Do you mean HP Worksite?
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

dickmac999

Yes, Desksite is HP Worksite (it has many names, sadly).
Files are saved as *.VSD and the DMS associated filetype is also Visio VSD.
The team is using the swim lanes in a strictly graphic/visual manner - there is no cross-functional automation in use.  That's why I am thinking to set the default to OFF and if someone needs to use automation in a drawing (which is unlikely), it can be turned on.
I don't want to do that, though, if it will destabilize something else.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Paul Herber

Try it, turn off automation events and create or modify a cross-functional chart.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

dickmac999

Well it really does stop the automation!

The first thing I noticed is that selection of the Cross-Functional template does not populate with Swim Lanes in place. Instead, a blank page is created and the Cross-Functional stencil is displayed.

Toggling the tick box does effectively turn automation on and off, so we will try some tests with actual users.

Thank you for the guidance.