Can't exit design mode because Control 'Name' can not be created

Started by d310gece, May 30, 2014, 07:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d310gece

Hi,
Maybe this question has been answered before, but I can't find it in forum or on internet.
I have a drawing and I can't get out of Design Mode. I get VB error Can't exit design mode because Control 'TextBox1' can not be created. I can't find that text box in my drawing, but in VB when I open ThisDocument section in left top corner of code window where I can select a macro and there is that TextBox1.
I delete it but error stays. I haven't referenced it anywhere in my code.

Any suggestions how can I solve it ?

zorkhan

I have the same problem with drawings that were created in Visio 2010 and now opened in 2013. It occurs with 2 standard cmdButtons. Does anyone have a fix for this?

zorkhan

I found a fix. There was a security patch from Microsoft that left behind some files. To correct, search your temp directory for any file named 'MSForms.exd' and delete them. You may find them in several folders. They will be recreated the first time you use each Office app.

kedas

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3025036/EN-US

But if it doesn't work, and it usually doesn't you have to uninstall a KB to fix this problem.  (keep in mind the KB will most likely reinstall itself again after some time)
based on your Office version: (not Visio version!)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 (KB2596927)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553154)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2726958)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some related bug, I can use suggestions:
On my PC if I add a new control textbox of (Microsoft Forms 2.0)
It works on my PC but the file is corrupt on any other PC (VBA fails to start Run-time Error '32809' )
Deleting the control (also the master if there is any) fixes the file again.
Adding the control on another PC and keep using the file again on my PC doesn't create the problem, I assume some/all ActiveX inserts on my PC are a problem on another PC.

ideas to fix it are welcome.
Using Windows 7 64bit, Visio 2007, Office 2013
Example file attached (contains, 1 texbox control and test sub)

daihashi

It may be related to an update from Microsoft that was published in December of 2014. The update seemingly broke activex based controls.

To resolve this:

• close all microsoft office applications
  • then go to C:\Users\appdata\local\temp\  and then do a search for *.exd
  • Delete every .exd file that you find
  • Open your Visio document and see if the issue has been resolved.

d310gece

I tried all solutions, but it didn't solve my problem. I still have to do something to the form and then undo changes to make it working.

kedas

Seems MS has released a new batch of KBs in the automatic updates and it's broken again.
If you know which KB(s) to remove to make it work again please share the info.

Thanks