How to hide the stem of Indicator2 shape

Started by MistyFjords, May 27, 2014, 03:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistyFjords

Hey guys, How can I hide the stem, or stalk, of an Indicator?
I added lots of Indicator2 shapes in my model diagram and the page looks pretty crowded. I unchecked the Visible option for Instrument under Layer properties, so the circle of the Indicator was hidden but the stem is still showing.  I have Visio 2007.
Can you please help? Thanks!

Yacine

Hi,
either it is a bad modelled shape, or you're doing something wrong.
Are there custom properties displayed, when no shape is selected?
Would you like to upload a drawing with one faulty indicator2?
Yacine

MistyFjords

Thanks Yacine!
There is no custom property displayed. Attached is the very simple drawing -- a separator and a indicator.
The stem is there no matter what I try. >:( 
I am using Visio 2007 Professional. The shape Indicator2 comes from Shapes->Engineering->Process Engineering ->Instruments. Thanks.

wapperdude

The uploaded file you provided functions differently than what you originally show.  If you hide the lView>layer properties>instrument the entire shape disappears.  This is the expected behavior.  The provided shape is not a copy of the strangely behaving shape?

The instrument2 shape is a grouped shape.  Each sub-shape belongs to the instrument layer.  Somehow, it seems that you managed to select the sub-shape, Sheet.2, and remove its membership from the instrument layer.  That sub-shape is the stem.  So, now, turning off the instrument layer will hide everything except the stem.

If all you want is to hide the stem, then you need to (1) add Sheet.2 back to the instrument layer membership, and then remove Sheet.3 from instrument layer membership.  Now, hiding the instrument layer will only hide the stem, leaving the circle shape visible.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

MistyFjords

Thanks!
I haven't changed anything about this Indicator2. All I did was open a new visio file, drag a Indicator2 on the page, and then go to View->Layer properties and uncheck Instrument. I don't know how this sub-shape get removed from the instrument layer.

I want to hide the whole group -- the circle and the stem. How can I add Sheet.2 back to the instrument layer membership?

May I ask what version are you using? Visio 2007 Professional as well?

Thanks again.

wapperdude

1st:  V2007 standard.  Only impact is I don't have all of the shapes that Pro offters.

Adding sheet.2 back to layers...
1.) Open the Drawing Explorer window...View > Drawing Explorer Window (DEW)
2.) Navigate to the Indicator2 shape by expanding the tree,. e.g., Page-1>Shapes>Indicator2.  Continuing expanding until you see sub-shapes.  Should be Sheet.2, Sheet.3, etc.
3.) In the DEW, click Sheet.2 to select it. 
4.) Right click, select Layers from pop-up menu.  Select the desired layer

You have to do this for each indicator that is misbehaving. 

Alternatively, if all indicators are a problem, then you ought to be able to edit the master on the drawing and do an update...
1.  Open the Document Stencil.  File> Shapes.  Scroll to bottom and select Document Stencil.
2.  Right click on the indicator2 shape and select edit master.  This opens new window with the indicator2 shape.  Select that shape.
3.  In the DEW, you should now see a Masters folder.  You need to expand.  Eventually, should see sheet.2.  Use steps above to add back to desired layers membership.
4.  Close the Master shape window and say OK to update master and instances. 

There's probably another approach...as I recall Paul Herber has a shape update/replace program at his Sandrila website.

That should do it.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

MistyFjords

Thank you for the Very clear instruction, and It worked! My problem's solved. Thanks a lot wapperdude and Yacine for your help.