force text size/wrap recalc?

Started by scott, April 22, 2014, 10:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott

I have a fixed size rectangle (width=1 in, height = .5 in) that can contain variable amounts of text. My goal is to change the font size as the amount of text increases or decreases, with a maximum size of 8 pt. I've tried various combinations of formula and the best results seem to be a variation on this post from wapperdude.

However, the timing of the text resize/wrap recalculation seems unpredictable. For example, if I select the rectangle in the attached diagram, copy the current shape data in the Description field, position to the end of the current shape data, and then type a space and paste a copy of the text, I usually end up with this:

The Char.Size value has changed to a smaller size but the text hasn't resized. Doing something as simple as changing the page zoom setting causes the text to resize and rewrap to this, which is what I want:

It feels like I ought to be able to force the recalc with a Dependson() function (I've tried with Fields.Value, Prop.Description and others) but either I haven't found the right field to depend on or there is something else at work here.

Thanks...

Yacine

Hi Scott,
Sometimes there is a certain latence in Visio's display.
In your drawing however I could not see anything abnormal. Text resizes immediately.
I'm using V2007 on W7.
I don't know either any settings in Visio that could influence the result. ??? ?

PS: on the other hand, besides of being anoying, it should not be a big deal. When printing, the shapes should be all right.
Yacine