General Connection Point Question

Started by novski, May 12, 2014, 03:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

novski

Hi
I have a basic problem with the Connector Points in Visio 2010 Pr. I made a few Stencils and whant to add them to another. In fact its like a Frame with Slots and i add the Cards to it so i make the Fill visible.
Now the Shapes are all grouped in the Stencils and as i try to set a Connection Points to the Frame and the Slotcards i can't get them glue together... I read about the Different types of Connection Points (In/Out/INOUT) and I tryed to figure it out with the GlueType Cell but can't get it working.
Then i found http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=4847.0 and that does work but in a Strange way. Every time i Get the connection INOUT point on the Slotcard to hook up to the Connection Point on the Frame it turns that Shape 180° & Mirrors it. So after connecting it is Upside down Outside of the Frame...

Strange?

I think to sort this quickly it wold be nice to know how it should work.
So if i have 3 Shapes grouped and in a Stencil  and another 3 Shapes grouped in the same Stencil what connection points are necessary to make them glue together?

thanks
novski

Paul Herber

It's not the GlueTYpe cell you want to look at (that is something else), it's the Connection Point[row].Type/C cell.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

vojo

also, in the connection point row, the A and B cells define alignment vectors / orientation for the X and Y direction.

Perhaps you have some odd setting in there.   If you google around on the web or visio guy, there is information about how the A/B cells behave

novski

Thanks for those comments.
I tried to make a new Visio-file and a total new setup. Two rectangles both with a Connection Point in the lower Left edge.
As soon as i make the first an Out- and the second a In- Connection-point they show the normal red square as soon as i hover those two shapes close to each other. But at the same time it turns my second shape (the one with the IN Con.-Point) 180° just like in the printscreens in the the first post of this thread... That can't be normal.  I don't see any Formulas in the Shapesheets...

Does that happen on your side as well?

Thanks for the Help
Novski

vojo

I seldom if ever use dynamic / automated routing.....so never experienced this issue

I tend to do alot of isometric drawings which involve alot of manual operations to route things....I have taken June the Seconds
stuff and built connectors off that (4 packs, variable spacing, variable white space, etc)...so dont rely on automated routing per se