Shape Template or Master Shape

Started by Jennifer, April 13, 2014, 09:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I am working on a project that involves creating a frame or border for a photo collage. The frame will be something with a western theme, such as rough boards or a rope. I have created board and rope shapes, but I'd like to be able to adjust the fill color and shading without having to edit each individual board.

I tried to find a tutorial on creating a shape template or a master shape, but I got bogged down in the details and couldn't get it to work.

Can someone point me to a simple, step-by-step tutorial that will allow me to create some kind of shape template such that I can then create multiple copies and have any changes to the template propagated to all copies? For example, if I change the template from brown to yellow, all of the derivative shapes will change color. Same if I change the fill pattern.

I don't think a master shape will do the job, because I want the collection of shape copies on each page to be independent. That is, if I create 50 boards on Page 1 and make them brown, then create another 50 on Page 2 and make them yellow, I want to be able to change the color of the shape on Page 2 without affecting Page 1.

Can this be done?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

The Master shape idea can be beneficial, but could involve some extra work to get proper behavior. 

I did do a picture frame post under User Submitted stuff a while ago, Picture / Photograph Mat Smart Shape, http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=2291.msg15693#msg15693  There is quite a bit of shapesheet development to allow a variety of frame sizes, and frame widths, all independent of each other.

I have a more recent update if this looks to be of interest.

What ought to work is create your frame, then group all the pieces.  Apply your fill color to the group shape and it will push that color down into each of the sub-group members.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

My "frame" is a bit more complicated than that. It's really more of a border and it's highly irregular. Here's one that is in the shape of the letter "N".

I also forgot one other thing. I actually need multiple "templates" -- one for each page. That is, I'd like to be able to make one change to the fill properties and have all of the boards on that page change, but not on any other page.

I think this is too difficult for me at this time. It's not a big project. I'll just change one shape and then make copies.

Thanks

wapperdude

I like the "N".  :)

Not sure you need a template...just a custom stencil.  Take your letter "N" frame and group it.  Set some baseline fill color.  Copy the new grouped shape to your new stencil.  Do this for all of your frames.  Then drag a desired frame shape from the stencil and place on your new page.  (If the page size is the same as the original page where the frame was made, then, it will be the correct size.)  Once placed, apply desired fill color to the grouped shape.

That should be all that's needed.

Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on April 14, 2014, 06:33:10 AM
I like the "N".  :)

Thanks

Quote from: wapperdude on April 14, 2014, 06:33:10 AM
Not sure you need a template...just a custom stencil.  Take your letter "N" frame and group it.  Set some baseline fill color.  Copy the new grouped shape to your new stencil.  Do this for all of your frames.  Then drag a desired frame shape from the stencil and place on your new page.  (If the page size is the same as the original page where the frame was made, then, it will be the correct size.)  Once placed, apply desired fill color to the grouped shape.

That should be all that's needed.

Wow, that works.

I would have sworn that I tried something like that some time ago and the fill got applied to the group, not the shapes in the group. You are a wizard.

Now we really need a "thumbs up" and a "jumping up and down" emoticon.  :) :D ;D

Yacine

You could use line patterns, but I don't know if you'd be happy with them, as they are difficult to handle.

The filling of the shape will be it's line colour!

In the line pattern, black colours are in interpreted in the drawing as line colour.
If you want a black outline to your shapes, use a very dark grey instead.
Yacine

JohnGoldsmith

Hello Jennifer,

I think if you were using 2007 or above I'd suggest looking at theming as this generally works at page level and would appear to suit you problem.

But, since you're on 2003, have you looked a creating selections by type?  If you add a layer name to your master, say 'Border', then this will appear in the 'Select by type' dialog and you can then make your formatting changes en masse.

See the attached image below, which is 2013, but 2003 is in a similar place.

Best regards

John
John Goldsmith - Visio MVP
http://visualsignals.typepad.co.uk/