Filling area under basic graph

Started by BarryVisio, March 17, 2014, 10:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BarryVisio

Hello,

I made a basic graph (just to show my point in a thesis). I would like to fill in the area underneath the graph, anyone know if this is possible, or if there is a solution that makes it look like the areas are filled?

I now made the graph just by drawing lines, not the graph function as it isnt based on data.

Image of what i drew is attached, A and B are the areas I want to fill.

Hope someone can help me

vojo

Doing that will be pretty tough...the key reason is that for your subregion may have an odd ball line formula that would have to be 
used in some shape to make overlap....since points of reference will be different, that will be pretty tough.

Its better to build up as a series of slices....below

What you can do is the following:
  - break your arc into increments (draw some verticial lines at various places....then shapes==> fragment)
  - With line tool, start on left point of increment....go down then across then up to the right point of increment
  - should fill...if not then shapesheet ==> geometry nofill = false

You may be able to do this...but not sure
  - draw a rectangle that is higher than arc and width of region
  - place where you want it (bottom on X axis)
  - shapes==>fragment
  - delete top fragment (area above the arc)

BarryVisio

Thnx, the second suggestion worked, and is quite easy. Did have to copy the arc, as fragment deleted the arc, but placing it back when the block was cut worked fine

wapperdude

Select one of your arcs, then with either the line or pencil tool, draw a line segment from each end down to the horizontal axis.  This has to be one shape.  Then, open the shapesheet, go to geometry section. and set the geometry.nofill cell to false.  You can now fill the area bounded by your arc and the two vertical lines.  If you don't mind have a line across the bottom, you could have worked your way around from one end point, down to the axis, across, and then up to the next end point making a fully enclosed shape which should automatically fill. 

Do this for 2nd arc.  Then select the smaller arc shape bring it to the front.  Finally, select the axis, and bring them to the front.

If you don't want the lines showing around the fill, then extra step needed...duplicate each arc before making the enclosed shape.  Then, do the above.  In the shapesheet, set geometry.noline to true.  This gets rid of the lines around the filled area.  Align the arc with the shape and group (if desired). 

Alternatively, draw this in Excel and import.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Well the same answer as Wapperdude, but graphically...
Yacine