Visio for automotive electrical diagrams?

Started by MattC, March 08, 2014, 05:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattC

I'm trying to get started on recording my electrical "adventures" on my old jag.
I've come to a very early halt as I cannot figure how to use a connector or group of connectors to represent multicolored wiring (visio 2013).
The best I've managed is to use different sized and colored connectors one over the other but there's got to be a better way. I've read many threads and tried many posted files and cannot find a solution.
Is there something I'm missing or does grouping connectors pretty much kill their "glueing" ability? All examples I have downloaded and tried so far don't act like connectors.
Ideally I'd drop a connector and a dialog would ask for the color and trace color.
If Visio isn't capable of this is there a program that is? I haven't found anything. Seems a large market. Or is the Venn digram intersection of old car guys and PC users pretty slim?
Thanks 

Yacine

Hi Matt,
not sure if I understood your requirement well.
If you are just looking for a way to make a connector with several colours, then you can use line patterns.
If on the other hand you want to make several connectors follow the same path over a certain distance, it gets more difficult. Most people would just trace manually the connectors and make sure that the automatic routing is switched off.
You can also help yourself by braking the connectors in smaller manageable pieces.
I enclose a drawing where I played a little bit around with the idea.
Yacine

MattC

That example with line patterns has got me there. Some issues with scaling but I can play with it. Attached my effort below.
I'm going to try to use macros to create them as I'll be doing this 64 times for the various combinations.
Thank you very much!