Error 929 inserting picture

Started by Jennifer, February 27, 2014, 06:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

Periodically I get Error 929 when I try to insert a picture file. These are usually fairly large files (6-40 MB), but I have successfully inserted larger ones. The files are mostly jpgs and pngs. Some may be bmps or gifs.

I found a couple of web pages related to this problem. Only one had a suggestion. It wants me to download and run a registry cleaner.

<probable dangerous link removed - [moderator]>

Does anyone know how to fix this error or even what it is?

Is this registry cleaner safe?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Paul Herber

Don't touch that link with a barge pole! No, the cleaner will not be safe. Most image formats contain varying degrees of data compression, but the data will probably be stored internally in Visio in a bitmap format, which is not compressed. So, it's the decompression and the resulting larger size that is the culprit here. 6 to 40MB image files do seem on the rather large side. As a clue to the real size of these images try converting them to a .BMP or uncompressed .TIFF file.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jennifer

I don't think size of the image is the sole factor. I have successfully inserted much larger images. Also, it seems to come and go. Sometimes, closing and reopening Visio will clear the error. Rebooting the PC works more often.

In any case, does anyone know what the error means or, more importantly, how to fix it?

The MSFT KB is useless. This link from 2 years ago ducks the question:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-visio/visio-error-929/eb28dfc3-1565-4cf6-9ed6-6489fa676658

Paul Herber

I think it must be an "insufficient memory for this operation" error. Making more memory available by, for example, restarting Visio or the PC itself would be quite likely to help.
I'd suggest reducing the size of the images you use, 6MB seems excessive, 40MB, well ...
What are they and why are they so large?
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

Jennifer

Quote from: Paul Herber on February 28, 2014, 09:44:47 AM
I think it must be an "insufficient memory for this operation" error. Making more memory available by, for example, restarting Visio or the PC itself would be quite likely to help.
That makes sense. It would be nice if Visio could just say that. Infernal geek error messages.
I'd suggest reducing the size of the images you use, 6MB seems excessive, 40MB, well ...
Excessive? Are you kidding? My little P&S digital camera takes pictures that are from 3 to 16 MB, with the average being 5-6.
What are they and why are they so large?
Some are from the camera. Some are from graphic artists who have done work for me. Some of those get up to 75 MG or more, which I have successfully edited in Visio. I have never had a problem loading any of these images in any other graphics program including Irfanview, Photoshop Elements, Gimp, Paint, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, Quicktime Picture Viewer, Acrobat, and Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Even when Visio can't load them, any of these other can.

wapperdude

As an end user, my experience is that Visio slows down dramatically as its file size increases.  Importing large graphic files, e.g., photos, has a significant impact.  Just because a simple P&S camera can take a 16MB picture doesn't mean that 16MB is a small file.  Something like that will have a definite impact upon Visio.  I don't know if MS has made any efforts to improve the memory issue or not, but Visio was not intended to be a graphic arts program; it's just convenient to use it as such.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

You are using Visio 2003, so taking into account software development time it will have an image handling capability relevant to that time, say the year 2000. 1 or 2MB images from a camera would have been more applicable back then. That iamge from the camera is also compressed data, it will take up far more space internally. I've just tried an example, I've been scanning some maps (purely for personal use for hiking), a 700KB JPEG file becomes 4MB when saved as a non-compressed BMP or TIFF format, that's more like the internal memory size that Visio would use. So, that's a 1:6 ratio. Your 40MB file could be several hundred MB within Visio, and basically, it just wasn't meant to handle images like that - I'm not saying it shouldn't be able to, just that it's not what it was designed to do, as others have said, Visio isn't a graphics editor program. Horses for courses.

Jennifer

My main point is not whether it should be able to handle a 50MG file, but that if it can't, it ought to say why and not put up some geeky 929 error message.

I have a copy of Visio 2010 sitting right here. I'll install it right after I finish this project. Then we'll see if it handles large image files any better.

Paul Herber

Oh yes, I totally agree with that, these internal error messages, either users shouldn't see them or Microsoft should release a list of their meanings. I'll wait ...

andchoo

I have the same problem and for me error 929 has nothing to do with file size.
I think it must be something to do with either the operating system or computer as I didn't have the problem on the last computer i had installed Visio 2010 on and I also get similar problems pasting and opening images in other applications.

Previously I was using 32bit Vista, now im 64bit Win7.

andchoo

After investigating a little more, I think this and the other problems I was alluding too are to do with incompatible file formats (perhaps CYMK vs RGB)?
I simply re-saved a Jpg as a Png and problem gone.