How to remove frame generated when saving an image as jpg

Started by Craino, December 05, 2008, 04:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craino

Hi all,

I'm pleased to find this board and hope you can provide some insight to my issue.  I've done a bit of searching and can't find if this has been asked before.

I'd like to use Vision to generate shapes and images for my website.  However, anytime I save an image, regardless of format, there is a black square around the saved image. 

Can anyone tell me how to save just the image without the black square around it?  Also I'm wondering about transparency.  I'm not a graphics wizard, so I'm not sure if I should be considering transparency if I want the image to "play nice" on my website.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Paul Herber

The JPG file was designed for photographs and is still fine for that purpose. GIF format is better for blocky images, PNG is better though as it can work with photographs and blocky images as well as handling transparency (as can GIFs).
Don't confuse shape transparency in Visio with transparency in PNG and GIF files. Visio transparency allows a shape to show what is underneath it (and with a transparency scale of 0 to 100%). PNG and GIF transparency allow one colour within the image to be deemed transparent, this either on or off.

Are you sure this border is part of the image? Do you have a good quality image editor, PaintShop, Gimp is good and free.
If you are just viewing a generated webpage in a browser then this is not a good test as a certain browser adds image borders by default !  ::)

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Craino

Yea, pretty sure it wasn't a web-generated frame.  Didn't pull it up in anything like paint, but was in Windows picture and fax viewer. 

So based on your comment, I'll try it again using .gif instead of .jpg and actually insert it into my web page to see what happens.  Thanks for the response.  I'll post back and tell you the results.

Craino

Nope - you were right!

Went into Visio and created a test image.  File/Save As, .gif format.  Inserted into a Wordpress post.  While in the post editor looked like there was a frame, but previewing the post there wasn't.  So I must have been seeing a ghost image border or something.

Regardless, no border in the final result - thanks again.