Open Text Window of Lower Level Shape

Started by wabright, February 04, 2014, 10:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wabright

I want to open the textbox on a lower level shape on a double click of the group.  I tried adding Shape!OPENTEXTWIN() to the groups EventDblClick but that isn't working.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Wally

Yacine

There are many ways to realise what you want. Could you tell us what you are trying to do?
Yacine

wabright

Sure; see attached.  I'd like to double click the group and be able to edit the 40 instead of the text for the group.  In the shapesheet I've added a formula to the group "EventDblClick=Sheet.3!EventDblClick" and to the rectangle, Sheet3 "EventDblClick=OPENTEXTWIN()," but that doesn't seem to work.  New to the shapesheet in general.  I was trying to stay away from VBA, but I can do that if necessary.  I guess the VBA will transfer with the shape if I add it to a stencil?  Note the overall goal of this is to simplify constructing something like the terminal block drawing on Page-2

Thanks!

Jumpy

Wouldn't it be easier instead of doubleclicking the group to one time slow clicking the group and then the subshape? Or are your subshapes not selectable?

Paul Herber

Another way to do this would be to have the "40" as shape data in the group shape, then have the appropriate sub-shape reference and display this shape data. No double-clicking required.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wabright

Jumpy, we might have hundreds of these in drawings, so double clicking allows for quick editing time.  Slow clicking to the specific shape and then editing the text is cumbersome.  Ideally its a group so they drag around as one entry, plus this will be added to a stencil and they'll drag in as one group.  Paul - The number needs to be changeable, so if its static data that won't help.  If that data is quickly changeable then I'm open to other ways to solve the issue, this is just my first attempt.
Thanks!!!

Paul Herber

Shape Data isn't static, that's what the Shape Data dialog is for.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

wabright

Paul - Ah, sorry I follow you now.  That might work, I think its quicker than slow clicking to edit text but still not as fast as double clicking the group to change the number.

wabright

Paul, my apologies.  After giving your suggestion a try, it worked quite well!  Just a different flavor of what I was trying to accomplish; still new enough to visio I had problems visualizing your solution.  Thanks for your help!

Paul Herber

wabright

No doubt, on this same shape, I'm having another issue.  I want the resize behavior to resize the rectangle and leave the line a constant length.  I've added a geometry section to the group but as you move the shape the line doesn't move in accordance.  See attached

Jumpy

I don't understand what is the desired behaviour/problem?

The line has always the same length (0.5 inch) and it moves with the shape?

The Problem could be in the geometry section u use EndX and EndX-0.5.
EndX is a vlaue in the coordinate system of the page, but maybe u want to work inside the coordinate system of the shape?
Than you would have to use Width instead of EndX for example.

wabright