dynamic enclosure of a shape

Started by kiler40, February 01, 2014, 06:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiler40

Greetings All,
I`m trying to accomplish some tricky (for me) enclosure of a round shape with one "connector" line.
In the attached file i`ve put the connector and the enclosure thing.
I want to accomplish to combine both things. and when i move the control point of the shape, this enclosure to fit to the lenght of the line. but the circle part of it to stay the same size - so it is surrounding the circle part of the connector.

In the same time, they need to resize both with the same scale. the circle part have option "used". when it is "1" the shape gets little bigger and changes color.

Can someone help ?

Thank in advance !

Andrei

vojo

After looking at the file....I am not even sure what you are trying to accomplish

Are trying to make the manilla colored thing auto size around the "123" circle?...then the combo can be resized at will?

At first glance, this will take alot of subtle behaviors that you will need to code in the shapesheet or with VBA.
Unless I am missing something, this will be a real tricky / slick piece of work to get what you want done

I think it best to try to explain more fully what you want to accomplish

Yacine

Good morning Andrei,
you can use a grouped shape to realise that connector. The trick is to hide the border of the circle at the point where the line crosses it.
I used a small filled rectangle, that is attached to connection points of the background line. These points need to have absolute values, so they don't move when the line is resized.
I leave it up to you to set a parameter in the group shape to modify the width of the border.
The orientation of the smaller circle containing the text can be controlled via the well known formulas to keep a text horizontal.
HTH,
Yacine
Yacine

kiler40

Good morning Yacine,
thanks for the idea.
I have done everything else so far, and this little rectangle will solve the issue ;)

wapperdude

Here's a slightly different approach.  Still a grouped shape, but, avoids the little rectangle.  Just different.

Enjoy.
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Hallo Wayne,
the difference is rather the 2D instead of 1D shape. Both have advantages.
The rectangle was introduced, because Andrei wanted a border around his shape.  ;D
Yacine

kiler40

Hello Both.

it is not re-sizing with the main shape, but based on the thickness given.

Here is my idea :)

Yacine

Yacine

wapperdude

Fair enough.  Attached does either via right click, context menu.  You can select either fixed or proportional.  Fixed maintains a constant overlap, and proportional changes the overlap proportional to the main shape's size.

Double click allows you to access the shape's data, and set the scale factor used for both options above.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

kiler40

Nice !
In order of performance, this works better that my one.
More interesting is the behavior in the background of the shape. i`ll have a closer look in it :)

Thanks for the cooperation :)

wapperdude

My apologies.  Didn't really mean to take over your post, but, your Visio shape was intriguing.  So, here's one more update.  Now the right click menu allows you to turn the outer shape border line on / off.

Visio 2019 Pro

kiler40

Hehe :) You are welcome. New Ideas are always welcome :)

Yacine

Yacine