Sequencing org chart positions by data index

Started by Maven, December 09, 2013, 05:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maven

I have been using the org chart wizard in Visio (2003, 2007, 2010) for some time. I have been using it to generate some large org charts from a linked access database. I have also just started to apply the same wizard for generating SAP function location codes (a SAP function location code is  a plant equipment breakdown structure that takes each piece of equipment, and breaks that into sub equipment, then into assemblies, then into items etc). Basically an equipment hierarchy. Visio is providing a very useful way for people to visualise these data structures.

However, I remain frustrated by the need to reorganise the physical placement of nodes within the hierarchy after every new chart generation. For wider team review it is about getting the picture the same each time that is important. Eg all conveyors first, and within conveyors drives before pulleys etc

This is a very similar thread to the old thread, which has been dormant for some time.

Re: Its time for Visio MVPs/Developers to help us *sorting* organization chart

My idea is after having observed the way re-layout works the concept is to write a VBA module that will:
   1. Assign every position to an x,y location. Where x equals the number in the sequence, and y=-x . All positions would then be placed on a long diagonal from top left to bottom right.
   2. Run re-layout function from code. This would end up with everything to the right staying of a position staying to the right, and everything that should be below, staying below.

Final enhancement would be to then assign a subordinate arrangement by data entry (imported field). Set it up once then I would access that arrangement code from the shape data.

Issue: my VBA skills are not at a level to try this yet, so any assistance in pro-typing this code would be appreciated.