How could I connect data to visio automatically

1 (100%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

charalampos.stamos

Hello to everybody,
I want to make the infrastructure map of our network in visio. My question is if visio has any feature to arrange the shapes based on an information. To be more specific let me give you an example. I connect the visio drawing to an excel file (take it from SCCM) that has all our infrastructure equipment. We have sites all over the world. So, I would like to make visio automatically arrange one server based on his IP address to a specific site of our company. For example we have infrastructure equipment in New York. I make in visio one rectangle which is New York. I would like visio automatically connect all servers from excel to this rectangle which is New York. Is there a way to be done? Do I have to write code in VBA to make it?
Thanks!

Nikolay

Automatic generation (layout) of diagrams (or connections) out of data (such as excel data) can not be easily done in Visio, as far as I know.

I mean, you can still do some decent things with VBA;
i.e. as long as you have all shapes you need placed on diagram, you sure can use VBA to create connections based on shape data programmatically.

But you should draw the diagram yourself, as far as I can tell.