How to edit a Visio diagram in MS Word

Started by bobk544, November 20, 2013, 01:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobk544

Hello, i have Visio diagram of database table relationships and i saved this Visio document to a PDF and then saved it to WORD from the PDF and i'm trying to manually hyperlink some of the Shape titles now in WORD to a database table details document, but for most of the Shapes in WORD, i'm unable to highlight the Shape name and associate a "Hyperlink" with that name.

Thanks for any pointers, BobK

Paul Herber

I suspect you lose that sort of functionality as soon as you export it from Visio.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

bobk544

thanks Paul, so do you think if i used the original Visio document,  i could hyperlink the content of a Visio shape to the contents of a WORD document and the reason i'm asking is that when i open the ".vsd" Visio document, it just looks like a JPEG static picture without any detail selection capability. So now i'm wondering, if i saved the orignal Visio document in one of those other Visio formats, ie ".vsx" or ".vss" ect, would that allow me to select the contents of a Shape and associate a hyperlink with a selected text item do you think? thanks again Paul, BobK

bobk544

and Paul, it looks like when i copy the diagram to a PPT file i can actually select and hyperlink the Shape text items, but when i select the hyperlinked text nothing happens, just fyi if this might be a better tranform to take? thanks again Paul

bobk544

ok yes the hyperlink from PPT to the WORD document does work if i right click and select "Open Hyperlink", but i can't seem to get it to work with the click selection of the underscored hyperlink, so that's not bad then, now i just need to get it to work form  WORD to the PPT, so will get back on that, thanks Paul, BobK

vojo

why dont you just copy from visio into word....I do it all the time and right click image in word and launch visio to make changes....do the same for PPT.   I dont believe/recall that I did anything special to enable it.

Paul Herber

Just a few quick points:
1. saving as a Visio stencil (.vss or .vss) will not work.
2. Visio cannot hyperlink from within text to anything else. Hyperlinks can only go from the shape itself.
Vojo has the right idea ...
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

bobk544

Ok thanks all, i think i'm going to continue trying the PPT approach and basically roll thru all the Shapes and try to auto set the hyperlinks  back to the database table detail document:

Sub GetAllText()
Dim p As Presentation: Set p = ActivePresentation
Dim s As Slide
Dim sh As Shape
Dim t As String
For Each s In p.Slides
    For Each sh In s.Shapes
        If sh.HasTextFrame Then
            If sh.TextFrame.HasText Then
                t = sh.TextFrame.TextRange.Text
                If InStr(t, "tbl") > 0 Then
                   With sh _