fixed text position on connectors and multiple text fields per connector?

Started by stormingnorman, November 28, 2008, 09:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormingnorman

Hey there,

I'm looking for a way of defining a fixed text position for the text field of a connector. As default the text position seems to move relative to the center of the connector. The result is the following: I enter a text to the connector by double clicking it and move the text to the desired position. When I change the end points of the connector, the text moves and I have to reposition it. This is quite a drag when using visio for detailed drawings of audio- video systems as I use a LOT of connectors and there sometimes is need to move stuff around. Is there a way of defining a fixed position for the text of a connector? Something like: Position of text is always 3 cm from the left end...
Thanks and cheers
Norman

ON SECOND THOUGHT:
Is it possible to add a second textfiel to a connector? I'm working on wiring diagrams, meaning I need to put cable numbers for wiring schedules on each end of the connectors. Trouble is: I can only enter one textfield per connector, which I put on the left side. For the right side I've been using a simple second text field, which I just move on top of the connector. It is however not associated to the connector in any way. Selecting connector and the second text field and grouping them is no good, as it's not possible to freely realign the connector anymore. So the solution I'm looking for is how to associate two textfields (left end cable number and right end cable number) to a single connector, fix the positions (as described in the first reply below) and associate the entries of both fields to one another meaning: change the cable number on only one side and the other side adapts the change automatically.

Paul Herber

Select the shape,
menu Window Show Shapesheet
scroll down to the Text Transform section (if it's not there then menu Insert -> Section)
and in the cell TxtPinX put the formula "=guard(3cm)"
and in the cell TxtLocPinX put the formula "=0".

You can achieve a similar effect using the TextBlock tool on the toolbar (the small black triangle next to the Text tool).

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

stormingnorman

Yeah,

Thanks this works great when connectors make 90 degree turns. Only trouble is when connectors are just straight. In this cast the horizontal position remains the same, but there is always a vertical offset.
Thanks for the tip!!!

wapperdude

You should be able to add an "IF" statement and control the position based upon connector rotation angle.  At the same time, you can also manage the justification should that be beneficial.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro