Editing a shape in Visio 2007

Started by DrGrafix, June 28, 2013, 02:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGrafix

I confess that while I have used Visio since before MS bought it, I don't use it often enough and sometimes forget how to do certain things.  In this case, I'm using Visio to create a parts diagram and in the process I created a multi-node shape with a dozen corners.  Now I realize I have to modify the contour of the shape and what I need to do is _add_ additional editing nodes so I can create a "boss" protruding from the shape.  For some reason, I thought that once I highlighted the irregular shape with the line tool and the green diamonds appeared... I could _add_ more shape editing green diamonds.  But I've googled this for an hour and gave up.  Is this feature no longer workable in Visio 2007?

Maybe an easier explanation is that lets say you have a 5" square shape and you need to edit one side of the square to make a "protrusion" that is 1" wide and 1" deep.  I know I could do this if I was just creating a new shape but the shape I'm editing is very irregular and one of many layers in the illustration.  So I'd like to find out if I can edit it to add a few more protrusions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Doc

wapperdude

Select your shape.  Select the pencil tool.  Move the tool to the side you want to edit.  Hold the control key down and click on the side of the shape.  This inserts a new vertex point.  Repeat to add more points.  Select a point with the pencil tool and drag to new desired location.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro