Linked Excel objects on multiple pages

Started by chris.r, April 12, 2013, 03:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris.r

Hi All, GREAT site (as a constant user of Visio I'm surprised I haven't come across it before).

I need to have data from an "implanted" excel object display on 2 different pages.

What i want to do is have a table of VLAN information for each geographical site i've got ON the page that contains the info for that site, PLUS have all the VLAN's documented on one page for ALL sites (that page will basically just have embedded Excel tables).

Can anyone assist? I'm running Visio 2010 Premium.

Chris

aledlund

When you import your excel data with data linking, the individual records can be linked to different shapes on different pages. This set's it up so that when the linked data changes it will update the shapes automatically.
al

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio-help/demo-show-it-like-it-is-connect-data-to-your-visio-diagram-HA010051819.aspx

chris.r

Hi Again,

Can I link it to excel data WITHIN the visio document? I didn't want to have a seperate excel file as i need to contain ALL the data within the Visio document.

I did try the mentioned solution but it doesn't do what i need it to do (from what i found).

I simply want to "display" the data on the pages, but i only want to have to edit it on 1 page to avoid it getting out of date.

Thanks all.

aledlund

The issue is that an embedded excel sheet is an object, not a recordset which can be linked to shapes. This would require some (a lot?) of custom code to link between the object and the shapes.
al