Instances, or other centralized editing objects on multiple simillar pages

Started by stricko, April 10, 2013, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stricko

-I have Visio 2007
-how to make many pages (in my case – electric diagrams), which looks same {drawings (combination of graphical elements- rectangles, lines,..) are the same}, but all has different text fields which are linked from excel or DB ('link data to shapes')? But I need to have centralized place for editing. For example: when some change needs to be done, and I have 100 schemas of same type, to do the change only on one place, not on 100 places.
-What I done:
1) Drawing (combination of graphical elements- rectangles, lines,..) is in background page
2) All single pages of that type are foreground pages and has mentioned drawing as background page – like this I can make a change only on background page, and all pages will be changed automatically.
3) Text fields which I made in Master in stencils by 'shape data-data graphic' I copied from stencil to every single page, than linked to excel or DB – in case of some changes in excel/DB I can just refresh data and text fields on all pages will be refreshed
4) But in case when I want to add a single one text field (shape data-data graphic) to all pages, I need to do it on every single page (or in master in stencil and then to copy it to all pages and link data to shape page by page), I didn't found the way how to do it on only one place! I red that Master in stencils could by used as an 'instance' but whatever I tried, it behaved like single copies!! Is it possible to make Master in Stencil, than to make 'instances' of this shape on 100 pages?. But 'instance' means that in case of making change in that Master placed in some stencil, this change will be done on all 100 pages?
-could you help me how to solver mentioned situations? or to show another concept of solving problem? or info about possible solutions in newer versions of Visio?

thanks,
Michal

Surrogate

Quote from: stricko on April 10, 2013, 02:32:45 PM
3) Text fields which I made in Master in stencils by 'shape data-data graphic' I copied from stencil to every single page, than linked to excel or DB – in case of some changes in excel/DB I can just refresh data and text fields on all pages will be refreshed
in our russian forum we also tried linked its, but don't finished :( link
4) But in case when I want to add a single one text field (shape data-data graphic) to all pages, I need to do it on every single page (or in master in stencil and then to copy it to all pages and link data to shape page by page), I didn't found the way how to do it on only one place! I red that Master in stencils could by used as an 'instance' but whatever I tried, it behaved like single copies!! Is it possible to make Master in Stencil, than to make 'instances' of this shape on 100 pages?. But 'instance' means that in case of making change in that Master placed in some stencil, this change will be done on all 100 pages?
You must use macro which add this text field or dropped your shape from master to each page of document

stricko

Quote from: Surrogate on April 11, 2013, 05:52:33 AM
in our russian forum we also tried linked its, but don't finished :( link
try this example:
-you have excel file (for example 1st row named 'id_numbers' goes like ID01,ID02, .., 2nd row named 'names' goes 'Rick', 'Nick', ..)
-you have visio file
1) data -> link data to shapes -> excel -> browse your excel file -> next -> next (about all options think when needed)...finnish, now there appears 'external data' subwindow with excel values under Visio working window...
2) make any object in Visio working window , then press 'esc' key to have not have selected anything)
3) drag'n'drop line from 'external data' table to that object on visio window
thats it, if something has changed in excel, you need to refresh data in visio (data -> refresh data)

does it helps?

About macro: I tried it now, and it speed the process up. Thanks!