shape dimensions driven by linked data

Started by oompa_l, May 09, 2008, 06:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars-Erik

Personally i don't know of any way to edit for example the "Height" section of the ShapeSheet of multiple shapes. That trully would rock.
But I'm afraid I don't know how to do this. Anyone else know a way to do this ?

Visio Guy

Quote from: Lars-Erik on May 09, 2008, 05:05:34 PM
Here we go, you're probably doing this:
Dragging the shape while holding Ctrl. (it seems to change the custom fields in width and height to static values)

Yes, formulas in the Width, Height and Pin cells can get very easily blasted.

One way to stop this is with the GUARD function. So:

Width = GUARD(Prop.Row_1)
Height = GUARD(Prop.Row_2)

This will stop your formulas from getting blasted, no matter how you copy the shape.

However, you won't be able to freely resize the shapes either.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Visio Guy

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

papacat21

In the second section of this thread (the first response) is a graphic reference that appears to be no longer available, and I think that's the info I actually need.   There are graphics later in the thread that work OK so I think the problem is with the graphic iteself.  Anyway,  I'm trying to create a bunch of rectangles with speciifc height and width dimensions from a simple table in Excel.  I'm NOT trying to insert shape data into existing shapes, I'm trying to CREATE shapes much as described in the video referencing the ship loading problem.  I don't care where they're positioned - I'll need to deal with that manually.  I just need to be able to process a simple list of dimensions into a bunch of rectangles.  Is that graphic available, or can someone direct me to appropriate instructions?

thx