Hi Res Photos in Visio

Started by dkcorreia, March 05, 2013, 07:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkcorreia

In my documentation department we add callouts on top of hi res photos of circuit boards.  When I go to save these as SVG format (Our dept standard .. HAS to be in SVG) in Visio I get an error.  It is a 4MB jpg file.  Why would the file size matter? Can anyone help?  This is frustrating

it says the selected VDX file is invalid

Context: <VisioDocument><Pages><Page><Shapes><Shape><v14:Geom>

saveenr

I haven't seen this problem myself.

Can you attach the original Visio file if that is possible?

Some other questions:
- Does the problem happen with equivalent-sized PNG Files?
- What are the pixel dimensions of the JPG you are tyring to insert?
- Does it happen for all JPG files? Do smaller JPEG files work?
- How are you adding the JPG files (copy/pasting or using the Insert>Picture command)?

JuneTheSecond

Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

dkcorreia

@June this is actually a little different.  I no longer have a need to re-open that same SVG file again.  Now my issue is that I cannot even save it as SVG in the first place.  This is more critical.  Thanks

dkcorreia

@Saveen

It is an 8MB PNG file and I used insert picture.  I have tested 5 large files (JPG and PNG) over 2 MB seems to be the general size it stops saving.  The VSD file is too large to attach here.  I would appreciate any help.  Thanks.

W: 4608
H: 3456

Quote from: saveenr on March 05, 2013, 10:44:57 PM
I haven't seen this problem myself.

Can you attach the original Visio file if that is possible?

Some other questions:
- Does the problem happen with equivalent-sized PNG Files?
- What are the pixel dimensions of the JPG you are tyring to insert?
- Does it happen for all JPG files? Do smaller JPEG files work?
- How are you adding the JPG files (copy/pasting or using the Insert>Picture command)?

dkcorreia

UPDATE:

I just tested in 2013 and this works fine.  The only thing is it tries to open the SVG in a browser right after the save and I don't like that.  I need to adjust the setting.  Does anyone happen to know where this might be?

Thanks, Denise

JuneTheSecond

You can compress your picture on your Visio drawing
without changing resolution with menue
Picture tools Format, Compress Picture.
See attatched picture.

1. I inserted a image of 2.88 MB into Visio drawing page,
2. When save as vsd this drawing, file size of this vsd file was 11,081 kB,
3. When I saved this Visio drawing as SVG, saving stopped with the error you mentioned.
4. I compressed the image with menu above, and when I saved this Visio drawing saved as vsd, saved vsd fle size was 980 kB,
5. When I saved this drawing as SVG, the file size of this SVG file was 10,693 kB.

But why do you like to change jpg picture into SVG format?
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda

dkcorreia

Thanks for the tip.  I have played with this a bit and have had 50/50 results.  I have to save as SVG because we add dozens of callouts on top of it and our standard format is to save as SVG.  I can't really fight that battle.  If it was up to me I would just save these as PNG and edit the Visio source as needed but that is a box I dont want to open.  I have had a hard enough time getting the team ob board with switching to Visio from AI and this glitch is really hurting my effort.  Any help is appreciated.  Why would this happen? Any ideas?  Thanks for time. :)

JuneTheSecond

Next idea is to compress image keeping quality and resolution.
Once expand image 10 times large on Visio page, compress, restore the size, and save as svg.
I examined this method with 15.9 MB jpg image. Saved svg is 15.3MB,
and saved compressed jpg image in the same pixel size as before-compress is 1.9 MB.

1. select large image
2. protect aspect ratio
3. expand image10 times larger using menu View/Size and Position
5. compress image with menu Picture tools/Compress picture,
    compress option/quality 100%
    resolution printer (200 dpi)
    <<See picture below.>>
6. reduce image to original size 1/10 using menu View/Size and Position
7. press ESC to deselect all
8. save as svg
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda

dkcorreia

@June this is great!  I will be trying this next.  I so appreciate your time looking into this.  I will let you know if I can get it to work as well. :)