Shape data in Rack Diagrams

Started by Aprill, March 01, 2013, 05:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aprill

I'm working in Visio to recreate our companies many racks in order to help our technicians get quicker solutions to offsite concerns or problems. However, I am having a lot of trouble when it comes to shape data and shape data sets. Some of the rack components I've downloaded already come with shape data attached, but I don't need all of the fields that they give, and I need to add a few more lines that will help us further. I have created my own shape data set and saved it, and it works on the original component, but when I click on a component that already has fields and tell it to replace everything with my 'new' shape set it only adds to the list of fields, it does not replace what is originally there.....am I missing a step somewhere? I feel like I am close but I can't seem to find my error. Please help!

aledlund

You're missing the step that if you really want to control the shapedata on a shape, you should erase existing data before applying your own set (at least that's what I do). I do this primarily to avoid what I call shapedata glut, people cluttering the shape with things that will never be applied just to show they can.
al

Aprill

Aha! Thank you. Is there a faster way of doing this besides going one by one and deleting every line individually??

aledlund

there's a recent thread in the forum on writing a vba macro to erase them.
http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=4609.msg18041#msg18041

al

Aprill

8) You just saved me from going crazy, our company installed and maintains over 100 racks that are almost completely full, and that's just in one parish(county). I would have been deleting for weeks! Thanks Al!!!!