Is there a visio viewer for andriod?

Started by workflow, February 21, 2013, 12:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workflow

Grateful if anyone out there has any ideas I have been searching in vain for a Visio viewer for android OS and haven't come across anything.

Problem is that organisation is looking to transform all internal procedures into Visio format made available via intranet available on desktop and tablet (android).  Intranet search is able to locate specific Visio documents, and can open them on desktop OK but need to find a way of displaying them to staff on tablet. 

Currently the only idea is to use the 'save as webpage' feature so that the browser can be used to view the document but this causes additional work in terms of the management of the documentation and I have some concerns about whether the site search will be able to identify the correct documents.

Any ideas?

writing313

I wonder if Lucidchart's "Visio for Android" may be helpful here.  The web app can import Visio files and display them as webpage, PDF, etc.

Also don't know what intranet you're using but I know that Lucidchart works with Confluence's wiki product.

jchambers

Workflow--  I've recently persuaded my organization to store the master visio files privately (restricted to team that owns/edits/publishes them), but to publish the approved versions in PDF format on our SharePoint site.  Maybe that would work for your org?

PROS:
1.  PDF is a universal format that can be viewed with free readers on PC/Mac/iOs/Android/Linux.
2.  Visio makes it easy to convert to PDF, via "Save as..." and selecting PDF as the file format in the dropdown below the file name
3.  It is good for version control as well, so that users don't accidentally (or -- gasp!-- intentionally  :o ) edit the original/master copies of the workflows.

CONS:
1.  Adds some overhead to managing the workflows, since the Visios and PDFs are kept in different locations, and updated Visios must be saved to PDF and posted in the other location.

Hope that is useful.

Cheers,
JC

Nikolay

Quote from: AlexCormack on June 30, 2014, 09:11:56 AM
Hello, we just released one - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nektony.vsdviewer

Wow :D
You guys rock! Congratulations! No, really, no kidding! Super.

How have you managed to parse VSD format (it's not documented, as far as I know, is it)?

AlexCormack

Quote from: Nikolay on June 30, 2014, 09:59:26 PM
How have you managed to parse VSD format (it's not documented, as far as I know, is it)?

Thanks! Yeah, it's Microsoft proprietary format and we had to develop our own libraries to process the format.
BTW also we process VSDX and VDX. But we still name the app as "VSD Viewer" because iOS Visio viewer primary opened only VSD.