RF link budget calculation

Started by mountainch, January 13, 2013, 07:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainch

Hi,

I want to use visio developing RF link budget calculation as attachment.But I have no idea how to start.Any example for me to reference?Thanks!

Paul Herber

Qute easy, in each shape put the value into a ShapeData cell (call the cell Power. Loss or dBm or similar) (P.S. it's dBm, not dbm, my pedantry will get the better of me one day!), display the value within the shape using Insert -> Field, then add the 'dBm' text after.
In a shape where you want to do a calculation you can insert a formula into a shape's User cell which can be something line:
=Sheet.5!Power - Sheet.7!Loss
This cell can then be displayed as text.
The details on the "how" depend on which version of Visio you have.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

mountainch

Quote from: Paul Herber on January 13, 2013, 12:01:20 PM
Qute easy, in each shape put the value into a ShapeData cell (call the cell Power. Loss or dBm or similar) (P.S. it's dBm, not dbm, my pedantry will get the better of me one day!), display the value within the shape using Insert -> Field, then add the 'dBm' text after.
In a shape where you want to do a calculation you can insert a formula into a shape's User cell which can be something line:
=Sheet.5!Power - Sheet.7!Loss
This cell can then be displayed as text.
The details on the "how" depend on which version of Visio you have.
Hi paul,

Thanks for the reply. My difficulty is how can i check how component shape is connected(some of the shape is a 3 ports device) such that i can do the calculation.  ;D

PS: I am using Visio 2007

Paul Herber

If you are only doing a few diagrams then probably easiest to set up the cells manually.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

mountainch

Quote from: Paul Herber on January 14, 2013, 10:48:22 PM
If you are only doing a few diagrams then probably easiest to set up the cells manually.
hi Paul,

I need to deal with lots of diagram,i think i need the help of VBA.

mountainch

IF want to trigger an event whenever a connection is made,how can I do it??Thanks!

Jumpy

In the VBA editor, in the ThisDocument modul. Create a global Variable:

Public Withevents myApp as Visio.Application

Above the editor window are two pulldown boxes:
Select the document in the left one and Document_Opened on the ight one.
A procedure is generated, place a line there to fill the myApp variable

Sub Document.Opened(doc as Visio.Document)
  Set myApp = ThisDocument.Application
End Sub

If you want to create a template of this later on, repeat that step with Document_Created event.

Now in the 2 boxes select myApp in the left one and ConnectionsAdded in the right one. You get the event procdure you need:

Sub myApp.ConnectionsAdded(con as Connection)
  'Do sth.
End Sub

mountainch

santoshkh

Hi,
Have you managed to implement RF link budget calculator as you have shown in the attached diagram?

Santosh