Visio and XP - Trial version

Started by visio_sim, June 12, 2013, 04:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visio_sim

Hello,

Does any one know anything regarding the following points? (Or can recommend me where to ask)

1)Is there is a way to get trial versions of Visio 2010?
2) How long will Visio 2010 be available for purchase?
3) Is it  possible to lend copies of Visio?

The company I work for develops and sells high-tech simulation software that uses Visio as its PFD engine. Some of our customers and potential customers are big corporations that tend to move slow with regards adopting new versions of Windows. For some reason they love Windows XP.

As part of our sales process we give demo licenses of our software and potential customers get trial versions of Visio to try out our product. Since Visio 2013 cannot be installed on XP machines we are facing some problems to get  potential customers to test our product.

To work around the problem one of the alternatives we are thinking of is to buy X amount of copies of Visio 2010 and  lend the copies to our potential customers during the trial period.  Is this alternative possible?

Any more ideas?

Thanks!

vojo

pretty sure that ship sailed.  Looked hard when I found out 2013 did not support XP....was seriously tempted but all sellers looked like scheisters.
so did not pursue.

Might be able to get some sort of "back corner of the warehouse" copy from Amazon.

Dont know about licensing (how many machines can be installed with 1 copy)....
I know MS let loose on visio 2003 (on my 5th machine since 2003) a couple of years back.
I think I had to call them once in 2006 (wouldnt activate)... talked to MS for 10 min and explained situation.
MS gave me some new code that worked with my copy....all went well that install....have used original code after that.

Good luck....if you do find some solution...pls post here

AndyW

Purchasing through a MS volume licensing scheme allows you to downgraded to the previous version.

Also, I think any version of Visio will work as a trial. If you don't give the license key it will work for 60 days.
Live life with an open mind

visio_sim

Thanks AndyW and vojo,
I will contact MS volume licensing to check what can be done.

Will post the solution later

kennyj

Quote from: visio_sim on June 12, 2013, 04:10:59 PM
As part of our sales process we give demo licenses of our software and potential customers get trial versions of Visio to try out our product. Since Visio 2013 cannot be installed on XP machines we are facing some problems to get  potential customers to test our product.

I may have a solution for you, depending on a couple variables.

• How long is your demo period / sales cycle for prospective customers?
  • How many demos do you typically have running concurrently?
  • How many demos would you anticipate using over the next 12 months?
Feel free to PM me if you'd rather take this offline.

Kenny-J

wysiwyg

We're also facing this problem. Since Visio 2013 drawing control has a lot of issues, we can't provide support for Visio 2013. All of our clients have to use Visio 2010 / 2007.

Potential new clients, not having Visio installed, can't use the Visio 2013 demo.
But Visio 2010 demo is not longer available.

How can MS can help us out of this situation?

Regards
André