Visio 2013 - Other file formats that display image NOT icon

Started by vbmichelle, January 07, 2013, 02:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vbmichelle

We're using Visio 2013 but the same problem existed in Visio 2010. We need to find a file format other than .bmp for our Visio projects. Currently we're inserting these images and linking them. We're using .bmp because that appears to be the only file format that displays the image on the page which we require for editing. The other formats insert an icon and we need to see the image. Is there another file format that will support our needs and also allow us to have a smaller file output? The output files with the .bmp images are huge.

Thank you in advance.

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

aledlund

this might provide some insight into a discussion of bitmap vs. vector formats.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/aboutgraphics/a/bitmapvector.htm

bitmap images (bmp, jpg, etc.) can (and often do) create huge files, vector diagrams are usually much more effective for saving information when working with tools like Visio (Visio is based on vector/geometry basics). Vector formats are also better when you want to resize a picture.

al

vbmichelle

Thanks for this information however, this is not the solution. We are trying to insert the .png file as an object. We are NOT selecting "Display as icon" but Visio is misbehaving and inserting as icon! We need to see the image not the icon.  :-\

Steps:
1) Insert > Object.
2) Select "Create from file" and "Link to file".
3) Select Ok.
4) File inserts on page as icon.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

aledlund

Assuming you were linking into Word (which is what I tested), did you also ensure that the 'display as icon' was not checked? I tested both ways and works fine on my system (in either case it's an ole issue with where you are pasting).
al

vbmichelle

We are inserting the .png image from our image library into Visio 2013. Yes, the "Insert as icon" is unchecked and we still have an icon. You mentioned something about Word. I'm not sure what you are using Word for in your example, but we are not.

aledlund

apologies, I thought you were attempting to put a visio drawing into something else.
al

Jumpy

If you insert an image that way, what is the (OLE)-Container-Program?

Paul Herber

Why are you using Insert -> Object and not Insert -> Image (which is what I assumed you were using from your initial message)?
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

vbmichelle

Apologies. I'm may not have been clear in my original post. The only way we know how to LINK an document is to use Insert > Object. We want to link because these images will be updated often and we don't have to keep updating them manually. According to the icon bubble help, this is the one purpose of using this feature. Is there another way to link that will allow us to see the image and NOT an icon?

Yacine

What about creating automatically a BMP thumbnail of the orginal file and instead of keeping the original behaviour that opens the thumbnail, you would instead by macro open the original file?
Yacine

vbmichelle

We don't want to use .bmp files because they are huge.

I really believe this is a software bug. If I'm not selecting "Display as Icon" it should not do so, but it is. Very frustrating.

aledlund

I also agree that this appears to be an issue with Visio, the recommendation then would be to open a formal ticket with MS. You should be aware thought that displaying a .BMP as an image rather than an icon is not going to change the size of the displayed file (a bitmap will remain a bitmap).
al

vbmichelle

We don't want to use .bmp but that is the only file format that actually displays the image. We want to insert .png files but Visio does not support this. That is the basis of this issue.