Master Stencil Shape Won't Save Changes

Started by BRCDbreams, December 02, 2012, 06:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRCDbreams

I have a master stencil (a network switch) that I want to make a change to, the name of the shape when it displays so instead of Product-A, it will display Product-B, for example.  I have enabled editing of the master stencil, have edited the data field and then saved the changes to the master stencil. Then when I drag the master to a drawing page and the change is there.  Happiness  :)

But, when I save the visio file and reopen it, the master stencil reverts to the original value in the data field.  Saddness  :(

I suspect there is some kind of protection on the master stencil, but I've not been able to locate it in the shape sheet.

Thanks for any suggestions.

vojo

I have NEVER had that problem and I have done ALOT of tweaking masters / do save as / use later.

In fact, if you have done the "tweak master / save as something else / reopen visio file"   you should NOT even see the old master stencil
even if you have old master shapes in the current visio drawing.   Remember, shapes in the drawing will NOT be upgraded to this new version of the master  (visio drawing uses a doc stencil....drop a shape on the page = copy shape from master stencil to document stencil then drop on page).

So when you saved the update master....did you do the save as from the stencil side window?
You should be able to open the old master stencil and new master stencil.....if you can see both, then I really dont know (NEVER EVER seen this and have done this sequence literally 1000s times or more).   If you cant seen both, then you may have done something odd during save steps.

BRCDbreams

Vojo and other folks,

Ok, this is what is going on.  I start out with a shape on a master stencil named for instance "Shape-A". I drag it to the page, edit it (change the name and some of the shape data fields for instance). Then I drag this modified shape back to the master stencil and it gets named Master.12. I delete the original shape, Shape-A, from the master. Then I close the visio application saving all my changes. When I reopen and then drag Shape-A from the master to the page, all the changes I made are preserved and everything is great.

Now, I rename "Master.12" to Shape-A and immediately, the old values reappear for the master stencil.  I've tried this many times and same thing happens.  If I rename Master.12 to any other name the changes I've made are persistent. But, if I ever rename my edited master shape to Shape-A, all the original properties are applied to the master shape.

I have tried moving Master.12 to any other master stencil, not the one I got the original Shape-A from before I edited it, and as soon as I rename Master.12 to Shape-A, again, all the original properties are immediately reassigned.

Wow.  This is most unexpected. That said, I can get what I need by starting with an original master stencil namded Shape-A making changes and saving the changed shape back to the master stencil and then being very careful to use a different name for this new stencil (add a space so it's "Shape A" for instance) and my edits are preserved.

vojo

probably need to more precise on what you are doing since if you deleted "shape-A" AND saved the stencil....you should NOT even see a "shape-A" next time you open the drawing or stencil...let alone being able to drop it on a drawing.

There must be alot you are doing that you are not talking about!!!!

For example, if you have a "Shape-A" in 2 different stencils with 2 different behaviors....each is maintained independently (hidden in the shape is a universally unique name that visio engine actually uses to track what from what).   So with those 2 "Shape-A", each on different stencils, you drop them on a drawing, the following happens
   - Visio copies "shape-A" from stencil X to the document stencil....then puts on drawing
   - Visio copies "shape-A" from stencil Y to the document stencil....then puts on drawing
   - in doc stencil the 2 shape-As are unique

stencil enclosed shows what happens if 3 different shapes are given the same name.....visio adds a .num suffix to name so unique.

So I think there is many more details as to what you are doing that would be helpful to post