Modifying an image in a master - document stencil

Started by gunslingor, November 19, 2012, 01:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunslingor

My 3d shape masters are layed out as such: create a perspective of the front panel of say a server. Import this image into Visio, draw a perspective box around the front panel, group everything, change on double click behavior of group to edit shape text, reposition text box and then add connection points. Here's the result, an example:

Now however I realize that I need to resize all these images. They are each 100-200KB and I can make them at about 1-20KB using GIMP.

The question is, is there anyway to replace the image without destroying the shape by having to ungroup the shape? I can delete the existing image in the group without ungrouping and I can then place the new image file, but how do I let visio know that I want this new image file to take the place of the old one in the existing group?

If I were to just group everything together under a new group, I suspect the old unnecessary group would still be present and would lose performance but more importantly, I'd have to replace all my shapes on the existing drawing or at least at a minimum reapply the shape text to all the drawing shapes because of the new group.

Thanks.

gunslingor

I think I figured it out!!!
8)
Here's how:
1. open the master shape.
2. In the edit master shape window select the entire group.
3. right click-->group-->open group... a new master editor window pops up so you can edit the outermost group (in ungrouped form) without having to ungroup in the main edit master window.
4. replace the image
5. close the edit group window.
6. your done.

Any comment appreciated.

Paul Herber

I was in the act of replying, but this is the correct process to follow.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

gunslingor