Visio Webpage Hyperlinks don't zoom

Started by gunslingor, October 29, 2012, 12:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunslingor

My hyperlinks in my visio diagram will not zoom. I'm using the offpage reference arrow. A lot of my hyperlinks are just intended to jump the user to another area of the same drawing, or to a specific shape on another drawing. But regardless of whether the shape being jumped to is on the same page or another page, all that happens is that the webpage goes to the correct drawing, reloads, but doesn't at all zoom in on the shape being linked to. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm pretty sure its visio buggyness and not soething I'm missing.

Also, is there a way to stop the page reload if I am linking to a shape on the same page? It should only really reload if I switch pages to reserve finite processing power.

Thanks
     ______
    |          |
__|______|__
    |  !   !  |
    |    v    |
    | ------ |
     \        /
      ------

Docman

You can't zoom link to an object outside of a Visio - the zoom info is lost in the PDF/HTML export, along with the shape specific info you're zooming to.

I don't know of any browser zoom function you can initiate from a hyperlink either, perhaps someone somewhere has made some clever java, but how you could make that work with the limited functions you have with exported hyperlinks... I dunno.

If you can get a hyperlink to open up a new PDF and go to a specific page, I will pay $1 000 000.00 (Zimbabwean). I've cried because that didn't work and I felt it really should.

gunslingor

I don't understand why this functionality isn't maintained in the html export, what the heck is wrong with Microsoft. Visio could be such a powerful tool, but it's like they just gave up in the last, easiest and final stages of development. I mean, my original plan was to be able to be able to do a bunch of other stuff from the html export. Like, I wanted the hyperlink zoom functionality, but I also wanted to be able to turn layers on or off from the browser as well.

I'm wondering, rather than exporting the file as an html page, is there any way I can just manually make my own webpage that somehow interfaces with the VSD or other type of export? So, rather than letting MS make all the descisions of whats on my webpage and how it functions, I can just make my own webpage and interface with the vsd (or some other export) in a similar fashion as I would with an SQL database.

Perhaps HTML isn't the way to go. Basically, I need to be able to create my drawing with hyperlinks that zoom and apply various layers (for example, to view only subnets or VPN routes within the overall diagram). My users then need to be able to maintain all that same functionality with layers and hyperlinks, but should not be able to edit the drawing and, ideally, should not have to purchase Visio. Is there a runtime version of Visio? Visio viewer is pretty much obsolete and the html export is pretty much the same thing anyway. Do I have any options other than hoping that Visio 2013 resolves this deficiencies?

aledlund

The server based Visio is Sharepoint with Visio Services. For those that want to play in that world you might try the other Chris' site (Chris Hopkins).

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chhopkin/

al

gunslingor

I've read a little bit about Visio Services, but don't know yet if my company has it. Do you have to pay extra for it? I hate MS, sharepoint shouldn't be necessary for what I'm trying to do... I hate sharepoint!!!!