HELP! - Fixing start and fininsh dates on the block interval

Started by Vis_nov, October 19, 2012, 06:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vis_nov

Hello everyone,

I'm using visio 2010 and am new to timelines.  I'm trying to fix the date on my block interval so that when i remove it from the timeline (thereby breaking the link)   and put it back again ;  the block interval automatically should go to the dates assigned before.

Currently, when i reposition the block interval on the timeline (after the link is broken)... Visio assigns the dates to the block interval based on the position of the block.

For example ; if i assigned the dates 1/1/2012 as start and 15/1/2012 as finish and then move the block away from the timeline (which breaks the linkage )  and then try to position it back to lets say a random date on the timeline ( 30 /1/2012) the start and end dates on the block are reassigned from 30/1/2012.

I'd really appreciate if you could help me find a solution so that the dates on the interval don't change no matter where i position the block.

many thanks in advance for your help!

wapperdude

I did this in V2007, but, should be same for V2010.  This modification, changes the functionality of the block shape.  It freezes the dates, but, it also inhibits the "snapping" feature.  So, the position of the block interval is strictly manual.  Also, the block interval is not glued to the timeline.  You must do a grouping before you move the timeline.

Select the block interval shape and open it's shapesheet.  In the User-defined Cells section, modify the values for the user.visIntervalBegin and user.visIntervalEnd entries by placing a guard() fcn around each value.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Vis_nov

Thanks Wapperdude, that was very helpful.

However, as you suggested the snap functionality being lost is a bit of a concern for my project.  Ideally i would have liked the block to take the position on the timeline based on the fixed dates after using the GUARD function.

In the meantime, I'm getting around the problem by using x axis protection so that the block (after its detached from the timeline) cannot be dragged to a different spot on the timeline (while I'm moving it on the y axis)  from where it is intentionally placed in the beginning. 

At any rate, i really appreciate your reply and would be happy to learn if you come across a solution where the snap functionality can be retained.

Cheers.