Saving stencils with .SVG format shapes

Started by Peter Harbo, September 25, 2012, 02:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harbo

Hello to all of you,

I have a problem with SVG files in MS Visio 2010. I have created the shapes using Adobe Illustrator and have saved them as .SVG files before importing and adding them to my shape stencils. I save the stencil and close down Visio. Now when I start Visio again and open the stencil the shapes are no longer presented as SVG format. They look like a bitmap picture and the colors are inverted.
When I then open a .svg file the stencil disapears. I re-open the stencil with the SVG shapes and now they are presented as SVG shapes and I can work with them. Why can't I save the stencil with SVG files and just start working with them when I open the stencil?

I need to be able to send the stencil to other users who can use my SVG drawings without problems opening them.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Peter

Paul Herber

Visio can import .svg files, but in the process of importing them it converts them into its own format.
If the other users need .svg format files then I see no point in going via a Visio format.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Peter Harbo

Hi Poul,

Thanks for your reply. When I import SVG drawings I need to be able to work with them in Visio as Scalable Vector Graphic. I believe Visio can do that in its own format. it looks fine when the drawings are imported and I can work with the drawings as I like to. I just don't understand why the drawing changes when I save it in a stencil and restart the program. Then when I open (import) a new SVG format drawing the drawings in the stencil suddently changes back to a Scalable Vector Graphic format ????

Peter

Paul Herber

I think what you are seeing is a grouped shape. After you've put the shape into the stencil how are you editing it?
The exact details are Visio version dependent, but you need to open the group. If the shape has been dragged onto a drawing page then right-click -> Open Group
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Peter Harbo

Hi Paul,

Again thanks. I now found the problem. When I open Visio 2010 the design theme automatically chooses a smart grey/silver design with background colours and everything set for a smart design to start with. This alters all my imported SVG drawings and make them look like something totally different. And yes the drawings are grouped and with the new design theme it looks like a bitmap picture.
When selecting NO design theme everything is ok!

How can I set Visio to start up with NO design theme? thanks

Peter